CMHT blaiming autism

I was diagnosed with autism (ASD) 3 years ago after struggling with my mental health for over 30 years. It took over five and a half years to get this, as the CMHT did not tell me that I could be diagnosed without any knowledge of my mother's pregnancy or my first five years of life.

Now, I am being honest: I don't have much faith in the NHS as a whole, which stems from how different departments treated me and CMHT lying in letters to my GP and on my medical file. I also had many difficulties trusting the CMHT, as they never seem to believe anything I say.

Last week, I had an appointment with a psychiatrist and a clinical lead from the local CMHT. Straight away, the psychiatrist started blaming my mental health problems on autism, and the CMHT can not provide care for autistic people. They told me that I have to go to a local autism charity for help with autism, and once I have help with that, then they can look into if I need mental health help. The autism charity can not provide help for mental health, so if they (who are not qualified in mental health) think I need help, then I would have to be referred back to the CMHT.

The day after this appointment, I had a complete meltdown and smashed my computer and several other things. Unfortunately, I live alone, so I have no one witnessing these meltdowns. While in a meltdown, I cannot think of anything else but to get the frustration out, and all the information I have read to stop the meltdown is not in my head at that time. Afterwards, I go to bed and stay there for days, but I still get angry and upset because of the meltdown.

Does anyone else have this problem? I think it is an absolute shambles that is putting people's lives at risk and delaying the help that people desperately need.  

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop during a meltdown? Bearing in mind I am on my own and I have read the neurodivergent mindfulness booklet. 

Thanks for reading. 

Parents
  • So sorry to hear of your experience, I completely understand. The CMHT team turned down my GP's request for a psychiatrist twice because of my autism and I suspect my experience will be similar to yours when I do finally see one.

• So sorry to hear of your experience, I completely understand. The CMHT team turned down my GP's request for a psychiatrist twice because of my autism and I suspect my experience will be similar to yours when I do finally see one.

Children
No Data