Self accommodations as an autistic teen/adult

Hi I'm Jess

So I've been formally diagnosed for a year and 2 months, like most it was a long process and have known for a much longer time but there was a fight 

I'm currently in my first year at uni and the uni put in amazing accommodations but I still feel really overwhelmed at the end of the day 

Some things I have to help (not uni related) are visual schedules and a sensory corner in my room as well as trying to spend enough time alone 

Does anyone have any suggestions for other self implemented accommodations I could use either ones that have been beneficial for you or your child.

I've tried googling some and they either seem to be about primary school or how to organise life (taxes) which I'm not at that stage yet

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated 

Parents
  • I'm also in my first year of uni, what are you studying?

I really struggle to stop studying if I have a lot to do which leads to burnout so I have set myself a rule that as of 6pm, I stop studying for the day. That's helped me a lot.

Do you go to any societies? I joined the dog walking society at my uni and it has helped so much. Getting outside in the fresh air and not having to talk to anyone if I don't want to but having company is great.

Totally agree with Ann about having a to do list, and setting aside time for special interest or just time to chill and do something you enjoy.

Is there anything in particular that you are finding tricky or just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all?

Alisha xx

• I'm also in my first year of uni, what are you studying?

I really struggle to stop studying if I have a lot to do which leads to burnout so I have set myself a rule that as of 6pm, I stop studying for the day. That's helped me a lot.

Do you go to any societies? I joined the dog walking society at my uni and it has helped so much. Getting outside in the fresh air and not having to talk to anyone if I don't want to but having company is great.

Totally agree with Ann about having a to do list, and setting aside time for special interest or just time to chill and do something you enjoy.

Is there anything in particular that you are finding tricky or just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all?

Alisha xx

Children
  • Hi I'm at Sheffield studying biochemistry and genetics 

Yeah I try to have a cut off time of 8pm but I have quite a few socials on Tuesday and Wednesday 5-7. Thursday 7-9 and Sunday 9-10.30

The problem is with the Sunday one I really enjoy it as it's a pub quiz but it's really overestimating and doesn't feel the best way to start the week but also one of the most enjoyable parts of the week. My accommodation is also around 25 minutes from Campus but I always end up leaving an hour before as I'm worried about being late which doesn't give me as much time 

I think my problem is is needing structured time and originally having free time made me really home sick so filled my time, then enjoyed the activities so don't want to stop them but have too much going on but also go home normally at the weekends otherwise I get too overwhelmed and I feel like I "should" stay for the weekend and I'm missing out on the opportunity if I don't so I have a really heavy course load with the contact hours and outside work as well as socials so it feels like there isn't enough time to get everything done