Self accommodations as an autistic teen/adult

Hi I'm Jess

So I've been formally diagnosed for a year and 2 months, like most it was a long process and have known for a much longer time but there was a fight 

I'm currently in my first year at uni and the uni put in amazing accommodations but I still feel really overwhelmed at the end of the day 

Some things I have to help (not uni related) are visual schedules and a sensory corner in my room as well as trying to spend enough time alone 

Does anyone have any suggestions for other self implemented accommodations I could use either ones that have been beneficial for you or your child.

I've tried googling some and they either seem to be about primary school or how to organise life (taxes) which I'm not at that stage yet

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated 

• I have lots of different colored combs.

• I have been experimenting with keeping available different stim / fidget / sensory toys.  One which is small (fits into a pocket in your clothing), quiet, inexpensive (usually less than £4) and widely available: is a set of (elastic-joined) wooden twist and lock blocks:

• Is it worth looking into virtual pub quiz nights? This could limit the overstimulation as there would not be as much noise, smells, and extra stimulation, it also may not have to be as late in the evening. Or having one with your flatmates? You could buy a puz quiz book and do it all from home if that appeals? 

I too love a quiz and we do them at home with my family which I really enjoy and we use ones bought off of Amazon or second hand ones. The Ultimate Pub Quiz from Collins is very good as well as the Have I Got News For You ones! (Involves my special interest of current affairs :D )

• Thanks,

I had some loops and every time I used then ended up getting an ear infection but I do find some situations where they would be useful so I might try the foam ones to see if they work 

I also found that one of my stims is popping my ear (like folding it inside itself) and I get really distressed when I can't do it so sometimes things in my ears make me more overwhelmed

• Do you use earplugs at all? They maybe could help with limiting overstimulation with the pub quiz. I use foam construction earplugs which I found can really help, limiting the noise but not preventing me engaging too much. My friend uses Loop earplugs which are a bit more discrete if that suits? https://www.loopearplugs.com/

• Hi the uni has a dedicated sensory room that I tend to spend time between lectures trying to decompress and I record my lectures and use that in combination with getting early access to the slides although it's still hard to focus most of the times 

• Hi I'm at Sheffield studying biochemistry and genetics 

Yeah I try to have a cut off time of 8pm but I have quite a few socials on Tuesday and Wednesday 5-7. Thursday 7-9 and Sunday 9-10.30

The problem is with the Sunday one I really enjoy it as it's a pub quiz but it's really overestimating and doesn't feel the best way to start the week but also one of the most enjoyable parts of the week. My accommodation is also around 25 minutes from Campus but I always end up leaving an hour before as I'm worried about being late which doesn't give me as much time 

I think my problem is is needing structured time and originally having free time made me really home sick so filled my time, then enjoyed the activities so don't want to stop them but have too much going on but also go home normally at the weekends otherwise I get too overwhelmed and I feel like I "should" stay for the weekend and I'm missing out on the opportunity if I don't so I have a really heavy course load with the contact hours and outside work as well as socials so it feels like there isn't enough time to get everything done 

• How about recording your lecture classes? Asking for a "notes" partner. I got through college by stating I could not sit in the lecture classes (this was radical in the '70s) because I had too much to do as the student body president: a post I fought to keep for 3.5 years as an undergraduate just so I could have a private space, ie an office.

The lecture class teachers just gave me a syllabus and assignment schedule and the books I was meant to read. I spent a lot of time at a desk alone in the office, art studio, home or library.For over load I went to the rarely used stairwells.

Be persistent and very persuasive when it comes to trying to survive and thrive.

Does your Uni have a "haven" for ND people? Advocates?

• I'm also in my first year of uni, what are you studying?

I really struggle to stop studying if I have a lot to do which leads to burnout so I have set myself a rule that as of 6pm, I stop studying for the day. That's helped me a lot.

Do you go to any societies? I joined the dog walking society at my uni and it has helped so much. Getting outside in the fresh air and not having to talk to anyone if I don't want to but having company is great.

Totally agree with Ann about having a to do list, and setting aside time for special interest or just time to chill and do something you enjoy.

Is there anything in particular that you are finding tricky or just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all?

Alisha xx

• To do lists help me (I sometimes make ones for each day and put really simple things on there like reply to email , do laundry etc to make sure I can tick something off). 
    Having a hobby helps a lot! It’s tempting to just want to work but it’s good to have another strong interest to balance it with. 
    Setting aside time to spend on special interests also helps