Supported accommodation?

Hi 

So I need to leave my home. My family are trying to move. I’m not happy here. so the council asked for an eviction notice. Fine fair enough. I thought given the circumstances and the way my applications were going 2 months was looking okay I thought I could be housed by the time 2 months was up. They then phoned me and said we can’t get you a place at the moment you’ll need to wait another 16 months. I don’t have 16 months. we could’ve pushed it to 4 maybe but not 16. They said I could go private have I looked. Yes I can’t afford it and I’ve done private it was awful and then they won’t help me either.  She said you could make a homelessness application and we can put you in a houseshare or supported accommodation. I simply can not do a house share. So it’s looking like supported accommodation is my only option but I don’t really know what that means. I’m so stressed out right now and I’m going to go back to my youth worker but I can’t do that while im here 

• Go to the YMCA, friend, if you need to.. It's what I did and I can call myself stable as a result..

• “you need reality check” is a little harsh - this is my reality and this is plan b. All I was asking really is what supported accommodation is because I don’t know.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you.

The use of the term "reality check" was to try to impress that the reality of your situations sounds (based on what you describe) like it is not going to be likely for you to get your own place supplied by the council.

The reality is that there are a lot more people who are seen as in more urgent need and if you are currently housed then you probably won't get on the waiting list until you are homeless, and even then it will be most lilely in terms of years until you get to the top of the list, if at all.

My family simply can not support my needs

Have you had the discussion with them about what is going to happen with you? I doubt they will just tell you that they are off and by the way get out the house when we leave.

Family tend to be supportive and if you explain your situation and goals then I expect they will try to help, even if it means getting you a rented place that you pay towards as well as them, until you can afford to take it on yourself.

The fact you are able to work will be a disadvantage to getting housing supplied by the council - they will see you as an earner who can sort themselves out while they deal with those who are incapable of work or in significant distress.

On a practical note I think a flat share is probably your best way forward to achieve independence, but it will come with the hassle of flatmates and all the issues that surrounds this, so it is far from ideal for your desires.

To achieve your own place seems to take until your 30's based on others of your generation so it is useful to see it in relation to your peers.

Sorry it isn't a better outlook but I thought it would be helpful to understand what you are probaby facing.

• 100% they are going to a 1 bed flat in bath because 1 it’s closer to my uncles job 2 thier boys have enough money to go and get something themselves and 3 they are almost 50 they want to be on thier own which I completely understand. The point I’m trying to get at is that I just want to know what supported accommodation is. My family simply can not support my needs and maybe this is my option I just need to know what it is before I make this decision. And my work is here in Gloucester. I’ve worked so hard during my apprenticeship here that I wanted to stay on I’ve finally found a team I can gel with. 
  • Are you sure it's impossible to go with your family? Even though downsizing, there might still be a way, like if they can get a sofa bed in the living room. Not ideal but it might be better than staying where you are, if you will struggle to get accommodation. I was homeless myself last year and luckily eventually my parents let me move back in with them even though I'd upset them in the past. It's far from my ideal living situation, I have a small bedroom here, sleep on a bunk bed so I can store stuff on the top bunk and underneath it but the alternative was being given a flat in a rough area miles away from anything or anyone I knew and just somewhere I didn't want to live. It's a really challenging time at the moment for everyone with housing. More and more young people are living longer with their parents. I know a woman in her forties who is having a nightmare of a time in social housing and I've recommend to her to move back in with her parents as well, but she doesn't want to, however she texts me every week saying her life is miserable because of her neighbours.

• If I was in your position I would work out if my family are willing to take me with them on their move - it has to be better than being on the streets which is where you are heading to now. It may be undesirable but at least you will have those helping who understand your situaiton, your needs and who love you.

already thought about that. Moving to a different part of this country YET AGAIN is something I am not willing to do. I am finally settled in my job. It would take me months to find one again. My family are downsizing so me going with them them isn’t a possibility. I have no other family. 
    No offence “you need reality check” is a little harsh - this is my reality and this is plan b. All I was asking really is what supported accommodation is because I don’t know. I just wanted to give some background information about why I’m in this situation. I was fully prepared for this not to go the way I wanted it to and was fully prepared for this to take awhile. What I wasn’t prepared for is one of the reasons im in this in the first place and for it to come around so quickly.
    My end goal was that I would get somewhere I could decorate how I wanted to and finally settle somewhere for a while. I’m 23 and have never had a secure home. That makes me feel terrible all the time. This isnt and wasn’t supposed to be about race the economy and other peoples situations and all the other stuff.  

• Please support such claims with factual evidence of the projected numbers as it seems every so slightly unbelievable.

its but a tiny fraction of the people that want to come here...

think on it by numbers..... not everyone wants to come here... just a small minority.... say a small minority is 10% ... your ok with that yes? .... ok now lets take one country they likely come from... india.... over 1 billion population? .... probably more... probably 3 billion now but ill use 1 billion.... 10% of 1 billion.... 100 million..... this is low balling it too as im only including india, one country.... a small minority of that one country... this doesnt count all the many other countries populations which desire the uk and see it as some sort of utopia when its actually not and its a terrible decision for them to come here.

now if we want we can reduce it to 1% and then it still becomes 10 million.... for that one country.... that one country which actually might be more population than i credited them and be 3 times higher than my figures.

• we dont even have houses for 60 million let alone adding a extra 100 million

Please support such claims with factual evidence of the projected numbers as it seems every so slightly unbelievable.

I know Labour are looking likely to win the election and have a track record of welcoming the downtrodden masses so the situation will get a lot worse before it settles, but I can't see them being willing to strain the public purse to the tune of supporting 100 million by any means, even in the next 100 years.

I’m so stressed out right now and I’m going to go back to my youth worker but I can’t do that while im here 

I'm sorry this is causing you stress, but it is quite unlikely you will qualify for a place with the number of available properties being under extremely high demand due to ever uncreasing numbers of disability applicants and immigrants who have no families to house them.

It seems quite likely that you need to take a reality check and realise that your hope of your own place is quite unlikely to happen the way you hope, so you need to prepate a plan B and possibly C in case you need to - think of it as creating a way to survive.

If I was in your position I would work out if my family are willing to take me with them on their move - it has to be better than being on the streets which is where you are heading to now. It may be undesirable but at least you will have those helping who understand your situaiton, your needs and who love you.

This counts for a great deal and you can start your plans again when you have a secure base to work from.

Do you have a friend or relative you could stay with instead? If you have then there will be a lot of adapting from your side (and theirs) on how to share the place and not get in one anothers way, so there will be a time to find a balance that works for both and a lot of tolerance will be needed.

Whatever you decide I hope you find something that works for you and makes you happy.

Good luck

• yeah theres only something like 21 million houses in the uk and around 65 million people.... so not enough houses to population.

then you have crazy loonatics saying we should let everyone in the world come here for a better life and your evil if you say anything about that... but just a tiny portion of the effect of that a minority of people coming here would be 100 million people.... we dont even have houses for 60 million let alone adding a extra 100 million and expecting them to all have jobs and houses right away and benefits too supported for them paid by the only like 5 million people working we have lol open borders, globalism, it will economically destroy our country and make it so we cant survive at all. too many people here, too few resources.

• Hi andi

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It's good to hear that you are going to go back to your youth worker. That sounds like a good idea and together you can examine your options. It might be useful to look at the information on the Shelter website also: https://www.shelter.org.uk/

Best wishes

Sharon Mod