Feel like I'm on the verge of burnout

Hi!

I feel like I am on the verge of burnout, although I'm not sure what that really is as I'm still learning what I struggle with, how my autism affects me etc (24 yr old, female, diagnosed in 2021).

I work full-time, social media copywriter, this is my first job after graduating uni in 2020 (freelanced over covid, some part time temp work too) and I've been here almost 3 years. 

I have this constant exhaustion at the moment, I feel so tired when I finish work, physically, mentally, emotionally... 

I also have this feeling like I'm not doing good enough, but I know these are my own pressures I put on myself, and that I need to keep going and doing better, which obviously doesn't help.

Other issues I'm seeing is that I'm regressing a lot - things I have always been able to do are becoming a lot harder and I'm finding difficult to do. This includes coming up with decent meals for lunch, talking to people, and doing things independently. 

I have this other feeling of being disillusioned with work that's creeping up on me. Where I work is small, only 5 of us there, we all get on well, super supportive especially of my support needs, they've said I am always welcome here as long as I want AKA I will never be out of a job. 

The issue is I'm vastly underpaid, and they know it. I brought it up in my review and they acknowledged that I deserve a pay rise (and am due one), but until new business comes in they can't give me one. 

Looking for a new job is an option (as my family have said), but I am in such a good position here and I cannot face leaving and the job search process again for the sake of my mental health. 

I feel like this burnout coming on is fuelled by this feeling of "work is work" and feels like a grind on the basis of being underpaid. But I feel wrong for feeling that way...

Do I sound crazy?

Any tips for getting over these feelings/dealing with burnout?

Parents
  • You don't sound crazy. What you're describing doesn't sound out of the ordinary when it comes to burnout.

I relate to the feeling of regressing. I spent 13 weeks on a very intense job - 5 days a week, 12 hour days and my health deteriorated and I didn't realise it. Since then, I feel my functioning isn't what it was.

I wish I had any tips but I would, if you can, be kind to yourself and open to those around you (who'll listen, of course) that this is what's going through your head. 

• Thank you, it feels a little better to know I'm not sounding unrelatable.

The regressing thing is definitely getting worse for me, I'm lucky that I still live at home so I get a lot of support, but I'm finding I have to turn to my mum a lot more with things like phone calls. It's like having a personal assistant sometimes, I swear!

Thank you, wishing the best for you, also. I think this community is a good place for getting everything out hearing what others have to say, which is helpful.

• Thank you, it feels a little better to know I'm not sounding unrelatable.

The regressing thing is definitely getting worse for me, I'm lucky that I still live at home so I get a lot of support, but I'm finding I have to turn to my mum a lot more with things like phone calls. It's like having a personal assistant sometimes, I swear!

Thank you, wishing the best for you, also. I think this community is a good place for getting everything out hearing what others have to say, which is helpful.

Children
  • I think it probably doesn't help that I've not worked in 2.5 years and therefore any skills I'd had with regards to being around other people have been lost.

I'm lucky that I have a therapist but she is the only person I actually talk to in terms of conversations. It has been the case since the beginning of the year - why that is is quite complicated but I needed to put some distance between myself and others.