Threatened with getting sectioned.

A bit of alcohol is involved in this, so reader be aware.

Feel like I don't have anyone I can trust. I've tried to open myself up to my dad a few times, but what I've learned is that he's quick to seek any option other than himself to help me. I'm no contact with my mother, and that about wraps up my family options. One of my best friends doesn't understand, and the other is in the same situation as me with no answers of his own. So friends are no help either. If I do anything other than pretend I'm fine, my dad's go to suggestion is to have me sectioned, which for those who don't recognise the term, basically means off to the psych ward I go as a lunatic.

I'm not fine. Every single choice I can make feels like it will only make things worse for me. That includes inaction. I legitimately cannot think of one single thing I could do that I believe would make life better for me.I currently live off of government benefits, but am looking to become self sufficient with no actual hope of success. I'm overweight, and struggling to fix this as food is basically the only dopamine source I have. I'm lonely, but lack the important prerequisites for companionship and refuse to be a burden on someone I might care about. A healthy diet and exercise takes months to show results, which is months more than my willpower can hold out on. Exercise takes eight weeks to show results. My current record when I was at my happiest for being able to stick to a workout routine was five. Now even one day of exercise and healthy eating feels like a mountain.

This is a lot of negativity, I know. But I don't have anyone I can talk to about this. So I guess I'm just putting feelings out there. Sorry to bum you out.

Parents
  • Good post. Not pathetic, just fed up of getting nowhere fast. I can relate to that..

1st. Do not be, or present as, a danger to yourself or other people. It's very hard to get you sectioned. unless you do or say something to justify it. From what I can read here, and have observed in some of my friends experiences, at this time in U.K. history you want to stay out of the clutches of MH, if you can, at all costs.

2nd. You need to find yourself some stuff that does make you happy and gives you a little dopamine hit. Keep posting here, and see what makes others here happy, maybe you'll see something you can do, that'll work for you. It won't be dead quick, but if you are a D.M. you already have some skills that you actually enjoy using. You can with a bit of introspection find out exactly what it is you like about D&D and being a DM, and what skills you are using, and then look for ways to use those skills in your actual life. Transferrable skills is a real thing, and can yield unexpected benefits.

MAYBE.. ?

ALSO

Many of us find a great deal of (in my case) unexpected joy in looking after an animal of some kind. Generally animal companions unlike human companions are always dependable and can be a great source of joy as you learn their little quirks. I like cats, because they offer a similar challenge to a 3 to 6 year game of D&D, there are more levels to a cat relationship, and it seems much more like a game played between equals than the master servant thing that dogs seem to offer. As many of our members will attest they aren't just "furry robots" they have personalities, likes and dislikes, and they make decisons.Admittedly they are an extra expense, and on benefits there is no fat (as we all know) BUT (IIRC) they do allow you to work up 16 hours a week and keep most, if not all, the extra money. 

THIS is the true benefit of "benefits", once you have got a basic grasp of budgetting and living as close to free as possible, you can explore ways of earning extra money without exposing yoruslef to debt or banking or acounting etc. My mate is just starting to brew and sell spiced rum...  I do bits of gardening and other manual labour / tidying up / or making things work sort of things (as well as a bit of volunteer free work) because 1. I like the money and 2. I can do it well, the result is very obvious, and the people I work for are always happy with what I did and the low price I can charge. 

Benefits will also each you what you really can do without, and how to live a frugal life, and if you learn the lessons well, and embrace frugality rather then resenting it, when you do get "money" you might actually be able to hang on to it until it's really useful, rather than buying that 100 inch T.V..

"Reframing" things, even if only on a trial basis is a useful way to pass the time and can occasionally allow you to see opportunity in adversity.

• Good post. Not pathetic, just fed up of getting nowhere fast. I can relate to that..

1st. Do not be, or present as, a danger to yourself or other people. It's very hard to get you sectioned. unless you do or say something to justify it. From what I can read here, and have observed in some of my friends experiences, at this time in U.K. history you want to stay out of the clutches of MH, if you can, at all costs.

2nd. You need to find yourself some stuff that does make you happy and gives you a little dopamine hit. Keep posting here, and see what makes others here happy, maybe you'll see something you can do, that'll work for you. It won't be dead quick, but if you are a D.M. you already have some skills that you actually enjoy using. You can with a bit of introspection find out exactly what it is you like about D&D and being a DM, and what skills you are using, and then look for ways to use those skills in your actual life. Transferrable skills is a real thing, and can yield unexpected benefits.

MAYBE.. ?

ALSO

Many of us find a great deal of (in my case) unexpected joy in looking after an animal of some kind. Generally animal companions unlike human companions are always dependable and can be a great source of joy as you learn their little quirks. I like cats, because they offer a similar challenge to a 3 to 6 year game of D&D, there are more levels to a cat relationship, and it seems much more like a game played between equals than the master servant thing that dogs seem to offer. As many of our members will attest they aren't just "furry robots" they have personalities, likes and dislikes, and they make decisons.Admittedly they are an extra expense, and on benefits there is no fat (as we all know) BUT (IIRC) they do allow you to work up 16 hours a week and keep most, if not all, the extra money. 

THIS is the true benefit of "benefits", once you have got a basic grasp of budgetting and living as close to free as possible, you can explore ways of earning extra money without exposing yoruslef to debt or banking or acounting etc. My mate is just starting to brew and sell spiced rum...  I do bits of gardening and other manual labour / tidying up / or making things work sort of things (as well as a bit of volunteer free work) because 1. I like the money and 2. I can do it well, the result is very obvious, and the people I work for are always happy with what I did and the low price I can charge. 

Benefits will also each you what you really can do without, and how to live a frugal life, and if you learn the lessons well, and embrace frugality rather then resenting it, when you do get "money" you might actually be able to hang on to it until it's really useful, rather than buying that 100 inch T.V..

"Reframing" things, even if only on a trial basis is a useful way to pass the time and can occasionally allow you to see opportunity in adversity.

Children
  • Hey there. Thanks for the response.

Don't worry, I'm not a danger to myself. I'm way too spiritually uncertain to risk an expedited discovery of whatever comes next. And way too egotistical to be able to tolerate dying and not being around to hear what people have to say.

I hear you on finding dopamine hits. I'm thus far unsuccessful on finding anything healthy that can provide it. I don't DM because I enjoy it. I DM because... well... it's the only way me and my friend can experience TTRPGs together. Other options haven't panned out, despite multiple efforts.

I've been a dog owner for some 14 years now. Had a West Highland Terrier for 10 of those years, until illness took him. Got a Patterdale not long after, and recently a second because my folks fancy themselves as unlicensed breeders. That Westie was special. A wonderful mix of loving companion and grumpy old man. The Patterdales on the other hand are clingy crybabies. I give them the care and attention they need because it's what's right. But I just don't feel that same connection like I did with the Westie. He was my boy and there's no replacing him.

Trying to make the most out of these benefits while trying to ensure I eventually won't have to depend on them.  I'd like to make something of a career in writing, but a lot of that calls for at least a bachelor's degree and I'm behind on that by years. It's something to work towards, but just finding a course that fits my needs is so mind boggling that I haven't found any real success yet.

Anyway. At the moment I'm trying to keep moving forward, both to not let people I care about down, and in some vain hope that eventually it'll all come together and I'll start to feel more positive about things. That's not going to happen if I just sit around, right?