Why? Just Why?

The question posed in the title is one I have been asking myself for the past however many hours.

Partly as a result of difficulty communicating in a way that doesn't result in confusion and numerous misunderstandings, a couple of autistic friends conclude that they need to permanently cut ties and cease contact.

Some weeks later, Person A is stunned when they discover they have received an e-mail from Person B, which had been sent the night before Valentine's Day. The e-mail doesn't contain a message as such, just a YouTube link to an Elvis Presley song called 'Separate Ways'. Rather than listening to the song, Person A opts to look up the lyrics instead.

Person A cannot understand why Person B had briefly resumed contact and sent that e-mail. 

Although Person A has accepted that the friendship with Person B had to end, their emotions are still quite raw and painful. It is hard for Person A to simply switch off their thoughts and feelings for Person B.

Person A knows it is going to take them a long time to pick up the pieces and move on with their life. They are hurting and feeling miserable. The last thing they need is a reminder of a friendship that hadn't worked out. To them, that e-mail is the equivalent of pouring neat acid on a wound that has barely started to heal.

For the benefit of anyone reading this, if you choose to permanently cut ties with someone, I would strongly advise you not to attempt to resume contact with that person... Not unless your wish is for that person to be back in your life.

Parents
  • That is very confusing. I'm not surprised you're questioning the reasoning behind it. I would block the person, especially given the email, it could have been honest intentions behind it but it feels like it's an intentional hurt. 

I hope you're ok Sparkly.

• That is very confusing. I'm not surprised you're questioning the reasoning behind it. I would block the person, especially given the email, it could have been honest intentions behind it but it feels like it's an intentional hurt. 

I hope you're ok Sparkly.

Children
No Data