PIP stress!

Hi! I hope everyone's been doing good.

My family have been trying to help me get PIP as my autism, anxiety and mental difficulties have reached new heights and are actually affecting my life so much I can't go out anymore.

I haven't been out for months! I get so anxious and stressed that I now spend most of my time in my room, being around anybody but my mum causes me so much anxiety.

Sometimes I get really stressed angry and upset all at the same time. I've also got incontinent I don't process how I need the toilet and end up going just wherever, it's so embarrassing and upsetting for me.

My parents are trying to get me PIP which apparently because of the above and that I can't cook and prepare meals because I burn and hurt myself. 

I feel sad and a bit of a failure that this has happened to me. A few years ago I had dreams of turning my life around and now in the last 5 years it's gone the other way. I've even had to have assistance writing this.

I don't know if I'll be entitled to PIP but the stress of the phonecalls and filling in forms has been so stressful.

• Yes, it does sound like you'll be entitled, but it is a stress to get and you do need as much support as you can from professionals.

PIP routinely refuse the vast majority of applications first time around.  Don't be surprised if they refuse at first.  You then need to ask them for a "re-consideration" and then you need to appeal.  Unfair as it is, it gets very stressful.  Personally, I think the government want to make it as difficult as possible for people in hope that most will just give up.

The good news is that most valid cases do eventually get through the appeal.

Do talk to the Citizen's Advice people though.  Or if you can't ask your parents to do that for you.  They will know exactly how to phrase each of the answers to hit their tick boxes and certainly get them, involved if an appeal is required.

• Hi Autumn,

I hope yours works out for you! It's such a stressful thing to do isn't it but I'm hoping it will lead to a better life for me in the end.

I hope you'll find the same for you.

Please let me know how you get on with yours as well.

X

• Hi Tina, 

Thanks for your post! 

I am also in the process of applying for PIP and the whole thing has been pretty drawn out and stressful, so I do feel where you're coming from. 

I wish I could say more but I am awaiting the results only having had the official phone call yesterday. 

Keen to hear how things work out for you! x