current

Apologies for the very personal post. There's a lot of 'I's because I write about the situation I am in. 

A few months ago I left my long term job in a foreign country. I did this for a number of reasons. Pollution, political instability, greater stress, and a sense that my focus and ability was in decline. I think it was a sound choice, as the longer I was there, the more ill I was. 

I am now back at home. I am in my late thirties, living with my parents. We have a better relationship than before, and we - fortunately - do not need to worry about many issues. It is calming. My mental and physical health has been much better than since I can remember.  I've been reconnecting to people important to me - most of which were positive and re-affirming (with one exception that seems to have found my words and intentions twisted in bad faith or because of something with them) - and had a clearer sense of self, of what I've done, and better relationships with people. 

And yet I have terrible insomnia and an anxiety that interrupts my poor sleep. I find myself endlessly on edge, with heightened sensations for long hours, exhausting me. I get headaches and ringing ears and tiredness. I can do small tasks and keep a routine of walking and exercise that keeps me well, but I feel like I am in such a swamp.  My mind keeps spiralling - with physical side effects like keeling over crying - into such self-negating bleakness. I know I shouldn't, and I keep knowing that what and where my mind goes is not true, but it keeps going there. I am in the position I wanted to be - where I have free time to relax, spend time with my parents and finally enjoy their company, and think and plan what I want to do next. The future though scares me: I can't imagine anything. A complete blank. I used to have all sorts of ideas and drives and motivation, but it's nothing. The future seems like a large empty room that will be a tiring struggle to get across. I look back at what I've done, and I was getting a sense of contentment, and a sense of I actually managed to do this and this despite limitations - and it just sinks into oblivion. I feel like nothing, and worse, that I have wasted so much time and there is no more time to do anything in the large white room. People in passing say they are envious of the position I am in, say that I can now choose to do what I want to do, and that the world is my oyster, but I have this perpetual sense of horror, this fear of doing anything, and this endless sense of my body and mind being tirelessly tiresomely on high alert. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Then enjoy this field. Discuss it with people. A good friend became interested in statistics, talked about it to a staff member, and now has the next few years of his life mapped out following what he enjoys. Maybe a similar option could appear for you.

• I used to think statistics was me but it became quite difficult to keep track of all of the Greek letters and the equations and meanings... Pure is where I'm happy right now. Especially vector spaces and graphs.