Trigger warning: Girl gets arrested, seemingly for being Autistic in a built up area.

Firstly: As the (annoying) commentry indicates we don't know all the facts here.

Secondly: It's a "zero hedge" article featuring PJW, so will be utter anathema to some people.

Thirdly: It's morbidly interesting, and somewhat thought provoking.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/arrested-saying-lesbian

Parents
  • I’ve heard about this case and regardless of autism awareness training, it’s a clear case of many people within societal attitudes and perceptions simply refusing to understand what it’s like to be autistic and instead going off of preconceived notions and myths about autism - there is still attitudes out there that are only too ready and willing to believe horrible things about autistic people and regard (and label) autistic people with horrible names, they believe that because autistic people are deemed (by them) to not have the required levels of “cop on” and common sense, that they should be permitted to do anything on thier own nor live alone without a “minder” and aside from a “cure” for autism, they believe that the only way to “manage” autism is by means of ultra strict discipline because they deem that the person with autism “does not understand that they are “wrong” by default” and need “careful management” 

• And it is this minority of people who simply do not want to understand, and perhaps the slightly lazy ones who do not feel they have the time to understand, Who need to be metaphorically beaten around the head with a copy of the equality act.

people worked really hard to make sure that disability was included in that act, to make sure that autism could be a valid excuse under law for all sorts of slights and social faux pas that autistic people might be punished for.

this legislation was intended to protect us and we should not be shy about using it or making a huge fuss when it’s ignored.

• I'd still rather be allowed to carry an MP5 about my person I feel, on THOSE days.

(Editted after replies were made to put the comma where it should be) 

• Oh it's never condoned, by "authority" (AKA socially sanctioned bullying) in my experience, and does not make one popular (indeed, when I finally put down one bully (in my 30's I was socially shunned, but they clearly were not my friends anyway, so *** 'em).    

That particular bully however sure didn't come back for a bit more, and I bet the next time he thought of getting up in some little blokes grille he remembered what happened at my hands. 

The violence doesn't always have to be physical if you are resourceful. On person who liked to drink my drinks when I was in the army ended up drinking one I'd put 18 ex-lax into... 

• I did hear of an incident where a few of the older kids offered a bully some "peer counselling" behind the wheelie bins. Apparently, the offer alone was sufficient to bring about the change in behaviour.

But generally, where the violence is condoned by someone in authority, it simply reinforces the bully's belief that might is right.

• I did hear of an incident where a few of the older kids offered a bully some "peer counselling" behind the wheelie bins. Apparently, the offer alone was sufficient to bring about the change in behaviour.

But generally, where the violence is condoned by someone in authority, it simply reinforces the bully's belief that might is right.

Children
  • Oh it's never condoned, by "authority" (AKA socially sanctioned bullying) in my experience, and does not make one popular (indeed, when I finally put down one bully (in my 30's I was socially shunned, but they clearly were not my friends anyway, so *** 'em).    

That particular bully however sure didn't come back for a bit more, and I bet the next time he thought of getting up in some little blokes grille he remembered what happened at my hands. 

The violence doesn't always have to be physical if you are resourceful. On person who liked to drink my drinks when I was in the army ended up drinking one I'd put 18 ex-lax into...