Trigger warning: Girl gets arrested, seemingly for being Autistic in a built up area.

Firstly: As the (annoying) commentry indicates we don't know all the facts here.

Secondly: It's a "zero hedge" article featuring PJW, so will be utter anathema to some people.

Thirdly: It's morbidly interesting, and somewhat thought provoking.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/arrested-saying-lesbian

Parents
  • That video was a very uncomfortable watch.

The girl was cowering under the stairs, screaming in distress. The mother clearly told officers that her daughter is autistic and one of them responds with "I don't care". The mother clearly told officers that her daughter doesn't like being touched, as part of being autistic. The police still physically dragged her out and arrested her.

Was there not one officer there with some autism awareness training, who could have stepped in and stopped what was happening? There seemed to be a lot of police present. Shocking Frowning2

• Was there not one officer there with some autism awareness training, who could have stepped in and stopped what was happening? There seemed to be a lot of police present. Shocking

The teenager was drunk in public (aged 16 so was drinking illegally) and the police response was decent to start with (ie we're taking you home) then what we are told by the media is that the girl used a phrase that borders on a hate crime in our warped society and the police woman took exception to be told she looks like a lesbian.

Two minor strikes should not have escalated to the end situation but we don't know the whole story.

The police are using body cam footage to review what actually happened so we can see if this is being blown out of proportion by the media in search of a sensationalist story. I expect the truth lies between the stories told by both sides.

Being autistic is not a "get out of jail free card" and the police officer is entitled to take exception to the perceived insult. Comon sense should have prevented the escallation though, but what if the police officer was also autistic? Would that have made a difference in how she is being villified now?

I don't know if the police get training on dealing with autistic people, ADHD people, bipolar people or any one of the many conditions & illnesses out there - I supspct not as this would take time and money.

In the end I expect this will just get swept under the rug of an internal investigation by the police.

It does highlight the fact that we need better ways to educate society on the different spectrums to facilitate our interactions.

• Actually I don’t think it will get swept under the rug it’s already been referred to the police complaints commission placing that aside The family have every opportunity to sue the police over this. The police have been sued for manhandling autistic people inappropriately before. If the family has the will to push the issue to court this could very well become a high-profile court case.

• Omg yes I read about this. Disgusting treatment, made worse that they knew... Horrible.

The police aren't trained at all with autism and they don't even try it seems.

Last year I had to go in to hospital because of a bad kidney infection and the paramedics were really understanding. Because I was distressed and anxious they turned off the sirens on the ambulance which really helped to put me at ease.

• In the case of ZH v Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis, the issue was that there was a carer present and the police did not consult them or take their advice.

Reply Children
No Data