Are there any antidepressants that don't make you feel like ***? (sensitivity to side effects)

Please fucking help. I've been on Citalopram 10mg and that made me really sick and even more suicidal. I've been prescribed Fluoxetine recently which has scary side effects still, but is it more likely to make me worse because of its sensitivity? The sexual side effects are scariest, then nausea and vomiting is second. 

Parents
  • There's a lot of people on here offering their own negative personal experiences with antidepressants so I wanted to balance that out with my own positive experience.

To put it simply, I wouldn't be here today if the antidepressants I've been prescribed didn't work. I've been suicidal, I've made plans and started to act on them. It's taken me a while to get to what works best for me, and now with possibly more understanding of why I struggle with things (suspected autism as well as depression and anxiety) I'm hopeful that I'll be in a position soon to be able to start coming off them.

My husband is also on them, and without them he'd be harming himself again, or worse.

We're both examples of the effectiveness of antidepressants, and because of them our son still has two parents, who for the most part are able to go about their normal (for them) lives.

I'm also another vote for not messing with illegal drugs, there may well be some benefits to them and if there are, no doubt a drug company will be doing trials to come up with something they can market and sell, but until that happens you can't guarantee the quality of the drugs, their source or what they might have been cut with.

• Thanks for sharing Becky. It's nice to hear a positive experience with medication for once. I know a lot of people don't get on with anti anxiety and antidepressants so it's positive to see they helped you.

• Thanks for sharing Becky. It's nice to hear a positive experience with medication for once. I know a lot of people don't get on with anti anxiety and antidepressants so it's positive to see they helped you.

Children
  • There's always a transition phase when you start them but personally I've found that once I've got past that they help enough with what I need them for that it's worth it.

I guess it also depends on what you want them to do for you, I'm on propranolol which is a beta blocker and that helps with some of the physical side effects of my anxiety like the heart palpitations, whereas the mirtazapine and venlafaxine that I'm on deal more with the mood side of things.

I was on lorazepam for a while which is effectively a sort of sedative, and is very effective but has a more pronounced "zombie" effect for me at least.

• That's fabulous. I'm glad you have had such a positive experience even with your GP. My GP isn't very good unfortunately but there's a temporary one I've been talking to and she is much better seems to really understand my autism and wants to offer support and encouragement. I'm thinking about trying anxiety meds again but with her guidance but I'm anxious to try in case they make me ill.

• They really have, and most of the other people I know who are on them, or have been on them in the past, have also had positive experiences.

I also have to say my GP has been brilliant in doing check backs and medication reviews ever since we moved and changed surgeries. The one we were with before weren't great, but this new one has been really supportive. A bit less so when I asked for an autism referral, but the GP I spoke to was overridden by a more senior GP and they did it in the end.