Overthinking - how to deal with it

Hi everyone have recently been diagnosed with autism, throughout my life I have been told I over think to much. Whether its something as simply writing an email, or like someone or worrying about the future or meeting up with people. Or just over thinking lots of things in detail such as my interests.   I was wondering if anyone had any ways to deal with over thinking? 

Parents
  • I deal with over thinking, by writing it down.  Occasionally I send what I have written BUT BE CAREFUL WITH THAT!  The process of forcing yourself to write cogently about the matter can deliver clarity to my mind.

• I’m autistic so I take things literally.  When you say write it down is it best done with inky pen and paper, or does it matter if it is typed onto laptop or into phone? 

• I prefer pen and paper as it's more personal and it feels more real or permanent somehow. I find I need that connection when it comes to dealing with what goes through my head. However, I don't think it really matters, it's probably different for everyone. Maybe try both?

• I prefer pen and paper as it's more personal and it feels more real or permanent somehow. I find I need that connection when it comes to dealing with what goes through my head. However, I don't think it really matters, it's probably different for everyone. Maybe try both?

Children
  • I’ve met plenty of drama queens during my time on the gay scene many years ago and they were off the scale 

• Anyone have any insights into why that might be?

On the extremely rare occasions that I have felt very angry, I do feel like a different person (someone who really scares me frankly) so it is wholly reasonable to understand why I would speak of "the angry me" person in the 3rd person.

• *gulps*  Smiley 

I can't really be angry to any great extent, because being so makes me ill and confused. In many respects, my childhood home life didn't prepare me for confrontations or upset.

• I have learnt never to send a first draft of a letter haha. When I'm angry, I can be brutal. You can literally feel the rage burning off the page, or me if you're foolish enough to provoke me to my face. Scathing is a pretty apt description of my tone. Interestingly, the times that I have torn people down in person, I remember in the third person. It's like the rage takes over and pushes my consciousness out of my head and I'm just floating above, watching. Huh, now I think about it, many of my memories of high stress/emotional situations are in the third person. Anyone have any insights into why that might be?

• My mother used to write things down rather than fire-off a letter of complaint to a company or whatever. This habit soothed her, cleared her mind, and led her to understand anger a little better (she was a very passive person, and likely autistic).

I get the impression that this arguably related habit is familiar to women especially, whereas men are more likely to express their anger fully and in a showy manner - something which gives the lie to the noun 'drama queen' -  though, of course, I'm guilty of generalising here.

I've lost track of my own point now so instead I'm going to post my favourite emoticon, one which endlessly amuses my immature mind. Heart eyes cat 

Farewell!

*scoots off*