111 Mental health line - is it helpful?

Hi, I am really struggling right now and considered ringing 111 for urgent mental health help... but I just don't know if it is going to do any good or just cause more stress. Does anyone have experiences of ringing 111? Was it useful?  I am severely burnt out, exhausted and in desperate need of a break, but I have to still meet one deadline by next week (an interview and presentation which could possibly do some good in long term and which I spent a lot of energy on over past weeks..) and then there is work... I am physically also in a fragile state as well as mentally being completely out of it- just can't focus, have no energy or motivation at all and just so frustrated that I seem to almost hate things I normally love. I keep crying because I feel so desperate and can't see a way forward and I am so worried about the future and if I will ever cope with a PhD or a full time job... I just feel like such a failure and so lazy that I can't seem to get the energy together for this final push... but then the issue is that it never stops. And I just don't see myself coping with my job much longer either (i don't like it and it has been very intense).... Sorry. I am rambling on. So sorry for being such a mess. 

Parents
  • I'm really sorry to hear this. I got burnt out doing both my degrees, BA and MA. I don't think you're a failure and I certainly don't think you're lazy. It sounds like you're doing a lot. If you get burnt out, it's going to be much harder to get going again. is there anything you can put on hold for now?

I haven't tried 111, but I have found Samaritans helpful when I was in a bad state. I hope you can find a suitable therapist. 

• Hi- thanks. I've basically dropped everything/ put on hold everything that I felt I could drop as I've had 0 energy and wanted to conserve any energy for essentials... Maybe I can cut down even more on work for my job the next days, though there are some things that have to happen... but I have already asked someone for help for the beginning of the week... And then I need to come up with a long term plan as the current state is not sustainable anymore... :( like you say it can take a long time to come back from burn out. I was in an utter state of burnout a year ago and had 7 weeks off and was nowhere near recovered but had no choice but to go back... and I somehow lasted until now dealing with an international move, new job and lots and lots of other things... but I've passed my limit. 

I'm sorry to hear that you also got burnt out during your degrees ... Are you in a less burn-out inducing environment now? 

Thanks so much for your support. You are all so kind. 

• When you say you have asked someone for help, is that your superior at work? It might be helpful to speak to someone there about your situation, difficult though that conversation will undoubtedly be. The academic sector can be more understanding than the private sector, although a lot depends on who you have to deal with.

I am on the whole in a less burn-out inducing environment, although it has not worked out entirely the way I wanted. I'm in a job which was not the one I trained for with my MA. It is low-skilled and boring, and I make mistakes, but I can cope with two days a week. I'm trying to set up some work from home on some of the other days, but it's hard work. I'm in the process getting married (weird way of saying it, as I've had a civil marriage last year and am waiting for a religious ceremony; it's taking a long time as my wife was waiting for her visa to come to the UK), and hopefully I'll be in a much better place once I can live with my wife rather than my parents.

Please try to be kind to yourself!

• Thank you!

Your manager's behaviour definitely sounds confusing and stressful (to anyone, let alone someone autistic). Even so, I still think talking to him might be the best (or least worst) option right now. In the best case scenario, he understands and takes some of the pressure off you. In the worst case, you have at least been honest and given them the chance to help you, so they can't say, "Well, if you'd told us in advance, we could have done something, but as you didn't, you have to take full responsibility." And I definitely think it is worth doing everything you can to stop things getting worse, as restarting after burnout can be extremely difficult and some skills don't come back.

Sorry to sound negative! I hope it will be the best case scenario, but it seems prudent to prepare for all possibilities.

• Thank you!

Your manager's behaviour definitely sounds confusing and stressful (to anyone, let alone someone autistic). Even so, I still think talking to him might be the best (or least worst) option right now. In the best case scenario, he understands and takes some of the pressure off you. In the worst case, you have at least been honest and given them the chance to help you, so they can't say, "Well, if you'd told us in advance, we could have done something, but as you didn't, you have to take full responsibility." And I definitely think it is worth doing everything you can to stop things getting worse, as restarting after burnout can be extremely difficult and some skills don't come back.

Sorry to sound negative! I hope it will be the best case scenario, but it seems prudent to prepare for all possibilities.

Children
No Data