Worried

I'm worried about my autism and general mental health.

Since my sister died in 2016 I haven't really felt like myself. My autism and anxiety have been on a constant rollercoaster going up and down all the time. This brings physical problems like bad pain and tiredness that's getting overwhelming and hard to live with. My biggest problem is my thoughts and voices I hear. I hear voices though I put them down as imaginary friends though some aren't friendly and can be really cruel about me and other people. They can trigger my thoughts to darken. I mask every day to hide all this but it's burning me out. I'm very tired and I'm struggling to not do what voices say and what I think. Another thing I've noticed is that I feel like there's someone else living alongside me and sometimes she does sort of take control when she feels I can't cope or am doing things wrong but she's not as nice and can also be mean and does different things which leads to awkward questions which I can't really answer.

I find all this confusing and I'm not sure what to do about it. It's not the sort of thing I can really talk to anybody I know about and from experience I don't think doctors and professional will be helpful they don't understand autism and what it's like on the spectrum at all.

It's worrying me. I'm tired all the time and anxious all the time. I feel like I'm at breaking point it's crippling me.

I'm hoping someone here has had this and can give me some advice.

Parents
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds a frightening time. I've not heard voices but I know with things like that you need to remember and tell yourself that they aren't real and they are just voices, they can't hurt you, they can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Remember that YOU are in control. You are stronger than you know and you'll get through this of course you will. But I do think you need to speak to someone professional regarding this as it sounds more than autism. I get what you mean about medical professionals not understanding autism I've had that before so what you can do is write down how you feel and explain about your autism and how it effects you. That way they will understand what it's like for you and they can then work with this to make sure you're comfortable.

I did this a few years back and it helps.

Good luck I hope you can get the help you need.

• I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds a frightening time. I've not heard voices but I know with things like that you need to remember and tell yourself that they aren't real and they are just voices, they can't hurt you, they can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Remember that YOU are in control. You are stronger than you know and you'll get through this of course you will. But I do think you need to speak to someone professional regarding this as it sounds more than autism. I get what you mean about medical professionals not understanding autism I've had that before so what you can do is write down how you feel and explain about your autism and how it effects you. That way they will understand what it's like for you and they can then work with this to make sure you're comfortable.

I did this a few years back and it helps.

Good luck I hope you can get the help you need.

Children
No Data