Autistic Burnout

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone would be happy to share any tips around how to cope with autistic burnout or chronic anxiety?

I have recently had to take time off from work and sought out support via NHS and was put on anti-anxiety medication and I have therapy (that has been a bit on and off due to therapists changing and being out of office). I am now trying to get back to work, but I am finding it really hard. I work from home so that helps a little but I've noticed that the anxiety is still quite bad and I also have trouble focusing and completing tasks that I was able to do before. 

Thank you for any advise or experiences your able to share! 

Parents
  • by rushing the recovery you'll only prolong it,  

take it easy,.as long as it takes,

because it can be worse, like unable to leave bed for 8 weeks

I completely agree. Looking back, I think it was burnout and I went back to work earlier than I should have. 

I feel like I need to rush to feel better for work,

I was the same but believe me, it is not worth it. I think my "rushing to go bsck" and not recovered well enough has contributed to further health problems a few years later as I hadn't built reserves up enough before they were battered back down again. I don't think alexithymia helps though. When we don't know what we feel, we don't know if we are ok or not. Having a good support network, even if it's just one close person can help you identify better if you are ok or not.

I just think to myself "what would other people do in my situation? " they would have time off till they are better. 

However, I am off work at the moment and realised I was putting myself under huge pressure to be 100% better when I return, however this isn't realistic. It's a fine balancing act. 

taking time to do relaxing thing that are enjoyable, with no elements of success or failure is helpful for me. E.g. finding time to listen to music or a podcast.

I really like this suggestion!  Also, don't feel guilty for taking time out. It isn't time wasted, you are still doing things because your body and mind are recovering so this time is still being productive even if it doesn't feel like it.

I completely agree. Looking back, I think it was burnout and I went back to work earlier than I should have. 

I feel like I need to rush to feel better for work,

I was the same but believe me, it is not worth it. I think my "rushing to go bsck" and not recovered well enough has contributed to further health problems a few years later as I hadn't built reserves up enough before they were battered back down again. I don't think alexithymia helps though. When we don't know what we feel, we don't know if we are ok or not. Having a good support network, even if it's just one close person can help you identify better if you are ok or not.

I just think to myself "what would other people do in my situation? " they would have time off till they are better. 

However, I am off work at the moment and realised I was putting myself under huge pressure to be 100% better when I return, however this isn't realistic. It's a fine balancing act. 

taking time to do relaxing thing that are enjoyable, with no elements of success or failure is helpful for me. E.g. finding time to listen to music or a podcast.

I really like this suggestion!  Also, don't feel guilty for taking time out. It isn't time wasted, you are still doing things because your body and mind are recovering so this time is still being productive even if it doesn't feel like it.

Children
  • Thank you so much for replying! I've definitely tried to push myself to feel better and just ended up feeling worse. I do feel guilty taking time off work as I already have taken over a week in the spring and couple weeks recently. Definitely realising this will take much longer than that to recover from. It's hard when I know I could bounce back much easier before but this time around really struggling with it.