Autistic Burnout

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone would be happy to share any tips around how to cope with autistic burnout or chronic anxiety?

I have recently had to take time off from work and sought out support via NHS and was put on anti-anxiety medication and I have therapy (that has been a bit on and off due to therapists changing and being out of office). I am now trying to get back to work, but I am finding it really hard. I work from home so that helps a little but I've noticed that the anxiety is still quite bad and I also have trouble focusing and completing tasks that I was able to do before. 

Thank you for any advise or experiences your able to share! 

Parents
  • Hello there.

I might not be of much assistance here, as I still don’t know what fully works for me yet. But I do know burn out and how hard it can hit. It’s a constant battle in autism (at least in my experiences anyway).

I think the best thing that happened to me was realising that it is a real thing. Before my diagnosis I never had the words to describe it, but it all became a lot easier to navigate when I realised I wasn’t alone in experiencing it.

By recognising the reality of burn out as an actual thing, I was able to take it a little easier on myself and adjust my expectations of what I can manage. Setting smaller goals in recognition of my reduced energy levels allows for a slow moving away from burn out by not using more energy than I have available. Returning to work is a good long term goal, but considering short term goals in order to get there slowly could be a good way to go about it. Rather than achieving 6 tasks in a day, as an example, what is 1 or 2 things I can comfortably achieve today, that won’t take it out of me tomorrow. This was I’m still achieving something, but it’s not too draining at the same time.

Also taking time to do relaxing thing that are enjoyable, with no elements of success or failure is helpful for me. E.g. finding time to listen to music or a podcast. Small things like this give me something to focus on, without demanding anything of myself. Gentle exercise can be good too, but only if energy levels allow for it.

• Hello there.

I might not be of much assistance here, as I still don’t know what fully works for me yet. But I do know burn out and how hard it can hit. It’s a constant battle in autism (at least in my experiences anyway).

I think the best thing that happened to me was realising that it is a real thing. Before my diagnosis I never had the words to describe it, but it all became a lot easier to navigate when I realised I wasn’t alone in experiencing it.

By recognising the reality of burn out as an actual thing, I was able to take it a little easier on myself and adjust my expectations of what I can manage. Setting smaller goals in recognition of my reduced energy levels allows for a slow moving away from burn out by not using more energy than I have available. Returning to work is a good long term goal, but considering short term goals in order to get there slowly could be a good way to go about it. Rather than achieving 6 tasks in a day, as an example, what is 1 or 2 things I can comfortably achieve today, that won’t take it out of me tomorrow. This was I’m still achieving something, but it’s not too draining at the same time.

Also taking time to do relaxing thing that are enjoyable, with no elements of success or failure is helpful for me. E.g. finding time to listen to music or a podcast. Small things like this give me something to focus on, without demanding anything of myself. Gentle exercise can be good too, but only if energy levels allow for it.

Children
  • Thank you so much for this! The way you write is really clear and calming in some way! It is helpful to understand burnout better and hear other people's experiences and what helps them. And to know one isn't alone with it all. I feel like I need to rush to feel better for work, but I'm starting to realise this might take longer than I thought.