Going to University as an autistic person

Im going to university in september this year and Im very anxious about going. Part of me is so hopeful about starting a new life with new people and new experiences, but part of me dreads that I just wont make any friends and Ill be alone and friendless. Im very bad at talking to new people without masking heavily, and Im also bad in new places and situations, like clubbing and drinking - the stuff you do at uni. I know that I can access support from student welfare but Im scared that it wont help me in the way I need to be supported. Is there any advice on making new friends and managing a new situation like uni that anyone knows? 

Parents
  • Hello, I too am supposed to be going to university this September. As a 19 year old on the spectrum, who has just taken a gap year, I am finding the concept of moving away to university very terrifying. I completely understand where you are coming from with regards to making friends and struggling with social situations. One of the issues I face with my ASD is an inability to cope with change, particularly in my surroundings, therefore moving away from home is my biggest dread. I would love to know how you get on and how you are approaching the struggle of this September, as it is nice to know that I am not alone with these worries as a teen with ASD. As it can feel very lonely sometimes when you see other people going off to university very confidently. 

• Yes I really struggle with change too, so uni is gonna be really hard, we just have to try our bests to get through the first few months before things hopefully settle down :)

Reply Children
No Data