Going to University as an autistic person

Im going to university in september this year and Im very anxious about going. Part of me is so hopeful about starting a new life with new people and new experiences, but part of me dreads that I just wont make any friends and Ill be alone and friendless. Im very bad at talking to new people without masking heavily, and Im also bad in new places and situations, like clubbing and drinking - the stuff you do at uni. I know that I can access support from student welfare but Im scared that it wont help me in the way I need to be supported. Is there any advice on making new friends and managing a new situation like uni that anyone knows? 

Parents
  • My eldest son went to Uni (he’s since graduated) and being autistic it did present him with some extra challenges. However despite being daunted by the prospect he is so glad that he did go and would not have missed it for the world. He joined a couple of college societies that involved things he was interested in and through these he met some like minded people (some of who were autistic or neurodivergent etc). As soon as you make that connection with someone that will massively help. Remember that most people - autistic or not - will be feeling a bit anxious too - so people on the whole are all really keen to get on with other people and be friendly. 
    when I went to college (many years ago) I did find the social side a bit stressful and I drank alcohol at social events which helped me to relax a bit - it really helped a lot. 
    As they say ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’ - it’s not bad advice when it comes to going to Uni! Good luck! 

• My eldest son went to Uni (he’s since graduated) and being autistic it did present him with some extra challenges. However despite being daunted by the prospect he is so glad that he did go and would not have missed it for the world. He joined a couple of college societies that involved things he was interested in and through these he met some like minded people (some of who were autistic or neurodivergent etc). As soon as you make that connection with someone that will massively help. Remember that most people - autistic or not - will be feeling a bit anxious too - so people on the whole are all really keen to get on with other people and be friendly. 
    when I went to college (many years ago) I did find the social side a bit stressful and I drank alcohol at social events which helped me to relax a bit - it really helped a lot. 
    As they say ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’ - it’s not bad advice when it comes to going to Uni! Good luck! 

Children
No Data