Employment

Hello, I’m just reaching out to see how everyone is surviving monetarily. I have never been able to keep a job more than a year and a half (not including my part time employment at my first job which was Toys R Us. It was my favorite job by far because it was so repetitive and if I became overwhelmed I always had back up). I’m now 31 and since that time I have had I don’t even know how many different jobs. I have my bachelors in early childhood Ed and special education but could only teach about a year. Ive worked in Sales, leasing, advising (work from home) but I ALWAYS burn out. I break down, can’t do anything and then find another place to work. I was finally diagnosed with ASD After I had a really bad breakdown leaving my leasing job. I was out of my job for a few months and now am in even more debt that I was from getting loans for my bachelors degree. I want to do something without time constraints, away from most people and most importantly without comparison to others. Most of my jobs involve being compared to others and I never do well. I used to be able to mask previous to the last burn out but I feel like I’ve lost this capability. This is really causing me a lot of trouble on top of the normal issues. What does everyone here do? Do you have any suggestions?

Parents
  • Hi Bree

If you taught for a year then how about private tutoring?  I do this part time and work part time and that was been life changing for me.  (I tutor secondary school science). 

Pros - I get to chose the students that I want to take on or not.  I only rake on students who want to be there and so I really enjoy the sessions.

There are a LOT of people at the moment wanting private tutors. 

I now only tutor online so I don't have to leave my home. (I live alone so finding a quiet space to do it is not a problem). 

I meet really lovely teenagers.  I feel really cheery after my sessions. 

Because I am good at teaching the parents are always so nice and supportive.  It's not like schools with pressure from managers, I teach how I want and it works so parents just leave me to it and send nice messages every now and then. 

Cons - students sometimes cancel the day or morning before and so I have less money. 

It is so hard if they cancel a lot.  I have only had this happen once but I just couldn't tell them that they would need to pay if they cancelled within less than 24 hours.  I should have, but I just couldn't do it. 

Tutoring is in the evening or at weekends so I am less free for family and friend activities. 

Students don't often want tutored in the holidays and so I lose money then.  I have to plan for this financially.

If you can tutor in English and Maths even at a primary level then there are loads of opportunities. 

Just a thought x

• Hi Bree

If you taught for a year then how about private tutoring?  I do this part time and work part time and that was been life changing for me.  (I tutor secondary school science). 

Pros - I get to chose the students that I want to take on or not.  I only rake on students who want to be there and so I really enjoy the sessions.

There are a LOT of people at the moment wanting private tutors. 

I now only tutor online so I don't have to leave my home. (I live alone so finding a quiet space to do it is not a problem). 

I meet really lovely teenagers.  I feel really cheery after my sessions. 

Because I am good at teaching the parents are always so nice and supportive.  It's not like schools with pressure from managers, I teach how I want and it works so parents just leave me to it and send nice messages every now and then. 

Cons - students sometimes cancel the day or morning before and so I have less money. 

It is so hard if they cancel a lot.  I have only had this happen once but I just couldn't tell them that they would need to pay if they cancelled within less than 24 hours.  I should have, but I just couldn't do it. 

Tutoring is in the evening or at weekends so I am less free for family and friend activities. 

Students don't often want tutored in the holidays and so I lose money then.  I have to plan for this financially.

If you can tutor in English and Maths even at a primary level then there are loads of opportunities. 

Just a thought x

Children
No Data