Employment

Hello, I’m just reaching out to see how everyone is surviving monetarily. I have never been able to keep a job more than a year and a half (not including my part time employment at my first job which was Toys R Us. It was my favorite job by far because it was so repetitive and if I became overwhelmed I always had back up). I’m now 31 and since that time I have had I don’t even know how many different jobs. I have my bachelors in early childhood Ed and special education but could only teach about a year. Ive worked in Sales, leasing, advising (work from home) but I ALWAYS burn out. I break down, can’t do anything and then find another place to work. I was finally diagnosed with ASD After I had a really bad breakdown leaving my leasing job. I was out of my job for a few months and now am in even more debt that I was from getting loans for my bachelors degree. I want to do something without time constraints, away from most people and most importantly without comparison to others. Most of my jobs involve being compared to others and I never do well. I used to be able to mask previous to the last burn out but I feel like I’ve lost this capability. This is really causing me a lot of trouble on top of the normal issues. What does everyone here do? Do you have any suggestions?

• I tried working but it resulted in stress, anxiety, meltdowns and issues with the police so now I'm at home and on benefits as working, currently is too much for me. You might be able to work part time for the time being whilst you get back on your feet, or maybe you could look at volunteering as that would be on your own terms and might give you some extra confidence.

• Hi Bree

If you taught for a year then how about private tutoring?  I do this part time and work part time and that was been life changing for me.  (I tutor secondary school science). 

Pros - I get to chose the students that I want to take on or not.  I only rake on students who want to be there and so I really enjoy the sessions.

There are a LOT of people at the moment wanting private tutors. 

I now only tutor online so I don't have to leave my home. (I live alone so finding a quiet space to do it is not a problem). 

I meet really lovely teenagers.  I feel really cheery after my sessions. 

Because I am good at teaching the parents are always so nice and supportive.  It's not like schools with pressure from managers, I teach how I want and it works so parents just leave me to it and send nice messages every now and then. 

Cons - students sometimes cancel the day or morning before and so I have less money. 

It is so hard if they cancel a lot.  I have only had this happen once but I just couldn't tell them that they would need to pay if they cancelled within less than 24 hours.  I should have, but I just couldn't do it. 

Tutoring is in the evening or at weekends so I am less free for family and friend activities. 

Students don't often want tutored in the holidays and so I lose money then.  I have to plan for this financially.

If you can tutor in English and Maths even at a primary level then there are loads of opportunities. 

Just a thought x

• Hello :)

I think the fact you know now that you're autistic and have a diagnosis, reasonable adjustments can be made in any employment that will avoid such burnouts in future if you're getting the right support. Looking after yourself physically and mentally, will prevent another burnout too. And if there's an option for you to work part time till you build your stamina again that would also help

In regard to masking.. I think you still have the capabilities to do it, it is just harder to do if you're overwhelmed and unsupported.

• Wow, thank you. That would be something I could look into. Thank you.

• Wave  Hi, all my jobs have been long term,. 6yrs, 8yrs and current is 10yrs.. I’m a machine setter but known as a operator in current job. I love engineering and now have my own machine in work.. 8 - 4:30 mon - friday. I goto work for a holiday from life and would work for free if I need too (dog kennels for example) 

• For me the nightmare ended when I became a "contractor". Pretty much every contract was for three months then "rolling".

You can take pretty much any amount of guff for 3 months, and if you can't, well the contract just ends a bit earlier.

BUT, someone needs to do the paperwork...