How do you find your happiness?

Hi

When you feel like that depression is settling in, and this is it.

How do you find that happiness?

How do you find the power to see another day?

When depression hugs you and says, “this is what you deserve and this is where you belong” how do you say, “no I deserve better”

What helps you?

• I was going to say there dad can't be Jesus Christ because I'm Jesus. I can walk on water and I swim on land. I'm a legend Rofl

• me too and now retirement is so painful

• I think I remember this Grin (just...)

• reminds me of red dwarf episode where rimmer tells lister that he was told by a fortune teller that in a past life he was alfred the great...

...'s chief eunach.

Joy

• i must have done something really bad either in this life or a past life

I think this regularly

• plus when you think on it. your emotions show that your alive. your existing. without these strong feeling emotions its like you dont exist. your emotional storms are proof of your existance, of your experiencing the world. id assume once we are dead and outside our bodies perhaps we miss these feelings that we now dont like, for these feelings, even utter despair and sadness are all a part of being alive and experiencing and feeling the world. emotion is likely a drug to us that we miss when we are out of our material bodily lives.

• i accept that i deserve it and that i must have done something really bad either in this life or a past life and that i deserve this or have to suffer through it as punishment and that wanting out of the punishment just kicks the can down the road and you will get it eventually either in this life or another again maybe worse for delaying it and snowballing it.

acceptance makes it easier sometimes when you think on it. i think that is one thing that religions touched on so someone must have thought on it before like that. accepting your suffering for your sin, giving yourself more to pay off more moral debt. not that im religious, more philosophical, but every thought is philosophical and everything is created from someones thought. philosophy is bound in thinking upon depression and your miserable place in life and finding a way to live with it all and accept it.

• I find that getting out in nature helps, or exercising, or both (hiking!). I find it difficult at this time of year though with the weather being so damp and cold and it gets dark so early.

Doing a 24 hour fast can also help me feel better.

Alcohol and drugs are not the answer. I use them to cope and then I feel briefly OK and then much worse the next few days.

• Yes, I'm a southerner - it's not just round the corner, but it's my nearest national park. Nice campsites, nice hiking, and lots of nice pubs that don't mind grubby hikers in muddy boots!

• Ooh I think you must be near me! I go to the south downs quite often.

• I thought it was a Stone Roses reference - love them! Not as much as I love James - not sure I love many things quite as much as I love James - but I love them!

• They were tops for me in the 90s, an amazing 1st album.

• Hi like your user name, is that after Stone Roses tune of the same name or am I totally wrong.

Being mindful, relaxing music and nature when I can get myself out there to experience it instead of aimlessly walking around my neighbourhood. 

• Nature.. It puts everything into perspective for me. It's hard for me to look at all the beauty around me and think the world is a shitty place!

Music. It moves my soul and makes me feel better and when I can't find the words to explain how I'm feeling, songs can. 

Last but not least.. Knowing that it is just a feeling, your thoughts are not facts, and the feeling will pass. 

• I recommend grammar and humour experiences. Best of luck.

• When depression hugs you and says,

Hi there,

I think that everyone finds their own coping strategies and what works for them as an individual but I think there are some key truths about emotional states that will universally work for everyone.

Taking the pressure off to feel happy when that is not your internal state of mind.  Telling yourself that you have rode the storm before and come through.  Allowing yourself time to rest more because intense emotions are draining so mind and body rest is important.  Finding a form of exercise that works for you - dancing to music when cooking even if you aren't feeling it - pacing back and forth while on the phone to a supportive person - walking somewhere in nature.  Anything that changes what you are doing in that moment.

All experiences are valid and there to learn from.  Moving through and learning to accept pain and reach out in the unbearable parts is important to show you how incredibly strong you are.  Yes, it's brutal but you have done it before and you can do it again.  You can. You are asking on here so you are fighting which's commendable.  Life is hard.  Life is so painful and there is not always a logical reason as to why traumatic things happen.  Life often seems unfair.  Here is the thing though, as long as the human race has been around, pain has too.  It is an important part of existence that bonds people on a deep level as they too know it.  

My pain is still here.  It changes and that's where I take comfort.  I compare the me of now with the me of past.  Had I been successful in dying, I wouldn't be here writing these words to you.  I wouldn't have the experience of being a mother.  I wouldn't have shown my strength in helping my Mum when my Dad died.  I wouldn't have smelled the scent of thirsty plants after rain.

Everyone has their own experience but we are together in our human existence.

Sending vibes of understanding your way.

• I usually book a weekend camping and hiking trip... happiness for me is out on the hills. The Yorkshire Dales and Dartmoor are my favourites, but I'll settle for the South Downs if it's term time.