Don't know how to deal with depression and suicidal ideation

It's not the first time I have been depressed. It's like a recurring undercurrent throughout my life. I was depressed for most of my 20s and I had a failed suicide attempt 15 years ago. Last year I was going to kill myself. I chose a foolproof method that couldn't fail and set a date and I arranged to meet with a solicitor to write a will, but it all got disrupted by the sudden lockdowns.

I was on a waiting list with the NHS for counselling, but they phoned me up and told me they couldn't see me any more because they didn't have enough staff, and that if I wanted to kill myself I should call the Samaritans.

I have called Samaritans and other charities a few times and although it's great that these volunteers try to help people, I don't feel like they understand me and I don't like being on the phone. I have emailed them as well but just receive what is mostly a stock response where they tell me to call them.

I don't know what to do any more. I get no enjoyment out of doing things and I don't see the point of anything. It all seems bleak and hopeless and I despair all the time. I have nothing to look forward to. Mainly I hate myself. I have no friends and I am so alone. I feel so empty all the time. I don't even bother eating any more. I don't do anything except sit by myself and wait until I can go to sleep. And sometimes I cry. There is no support available to me.

I have been thinking a lot about quitting my job. I tried going into the office again so that I have some human contact, but I hated it. It was so over-stimulating and I hate being outside in the city centre as well. The smells and sounds and brightness of it stresses me out. I tried going for drinks with my colleagues, but I feel so alone in a room full of people. I feel like they all get along and vibe off each other and I am this weird alien that doesn't belong there, and they don't care whether I am there or not.

I think I need real help from a qualified therapist, preferably one familiar with autism, but I don't know how. I'm still on a very long waiting list for the autism, probably won't get seen until next year, and I don't expect anything to come from it anyway. It seems like there is nothing available to me. I have contacted the doctor so many times. They won't see me face-to-face and the only way to contact them is via a text-based web service where they respond with half a sentence after which I can't reply. There is nothing available to me on the NHS anyway. The waiting lists are all over a year, and I was previously on one and they cancelled it. I don't want to talk to someone on the phone because I find it really difficult.

What can I do?

Parents
  • Hi Untoward,

I don't have much experience of this, and a few people offered some advice on your other thread, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

Google 'suicide prevention uk', there are quite a few resources available. Hopefully one of them will be appropriate for your needs.

As for being overwhelmed by noise/light etc:

• Noise cancelling headphones can be great and they don't necessarily have to be expensive ones. I've been finding that listening to rain/thunder on youtube has quite a soothing effect
    • Get some good sunglasses. If you wear prescription specs, get some prescription sunglasses, that has made a world of difference.
    • If you can, get out of the city for a little while. Try to get into the countryside. Woodland and green spaces have been shown to have positive effects on our sense of wellbeing.
    • Try to get some gentle exercise. Something that takes effort but isn't overwhelming or exhausting eg. going for a walk or a gentle bike ride.
    • A  bike ride in the countryside can work wonders. requiring enough effort  that your mind and body are occupied with other things. The fresh air and time away from the chaos of city life can help calm the mind.

I know motivation can be difficult to find at times, but once you get going, a little bit of exercise should be fairly easy to sustain. The main thing being the dopamine release, which is very important for feeling good etc.

• Thanks. I know exercise is good and normally boosts my mood a little bit, but it's difficult to get the motivation when I am feeling very low. Everything feels like it takes a lot of effort and I have no energy and it all feels pointless as well. Exercise in nature is the best of all. It is difficult to get motivated but I know I will feel better when I am in the woods or countryside so I will try to get out for some walks.

• Thanks. I know exercise is good and normally boosts my mood a little bit, but it's difficult to get the motivation when I am feeling very low. Everything feels like it takes a lot of effort and I have no energy and it all feels pointless as well. Exercise in nature is the best of all. It is difficult to get motivated but I know I will feel better when I am in the woods or countryside so I will try to get out for some walks.

Children
  • Well, it's good you are back Slight smile

Yeah, I get low sometimes, but I haven't been down in the depths for a long time. Sometimes it's about doing even the smallest of things and seeing that as a positive.

Even when I feel zero motivation, and feel empty, I view just getting out of bed as a positive. If the sun is shining, even better. Slight smile If that's all I get out of the day, it's still a plus.

One thing I didn't mention the other day though, in spite of things feeling hopeless at times, the fact that you reached out says that you know there is hope.