Low mood after diagnosis

I received my diagnosis in February. At the first I felt positive and relieved. But the more I learnt and the more I thought about I started to feel down. I'm finding it hard to shake this feeling and it seems to be getting worse. Pre diagnosis I had no idea or awareness of autism. I'm 25 now. I can't help but think how different things could have been. I'm finding it hard to focus on the present or future. I just kind of feel sad all the time. Is there a way to make this go away? In a way I'd rather not know because there doesn't seem to be any support or help. Not sure where to go from here.

• What you say about support is so true there is very little or no support for adults. Sometimes there are self organising groups but they are quite rare.  Pre diagnosis I only knew autism in its severe form.

You may have developed/slid into a low mood/depression which hopefully is temporary.

Forcing yourself to do a daily walk may sound stupid but it does help to lift your mood so I do one 6 out of 7 days a week. 

I also recommend you join some clubs or visit some clubs to see if you would like to learn more.

In short get yourself active. if u are not working try to get a job or volunteer. 

make sure your diet is balanced in case that is an issue.

I hope this is a temporary depression. Any depression is a dreadful experience. 

if this persists make sure you contact your GP.

• first welcome to this forum Slight smile

• I feel the same way, I was diagnosed last Wednesday and I'm 50 years old. My mindset over most of my life is the past and horrible it is. I've had no friends for over 20 years but I'm now trying to improve the future by being on sites like this. Take one day at a time and look forward to things rather than dwell on the past. Just put some effort into making things better under your terms.