Do you like to hurt yourself?

I think it's a part of my Autism but I really love to hurt myself. Recently I've been burning my skin with bleach and shining a laser pen into my eye. Pain seems to make everything else feel better. 

Parents
  • Hi Clara, I totally get what you're saying. I've dealt with self-harm for many years. However, as good or helpful as it might feel in the moment, it really is never the answer. Burning your skin with toxic chemicals and repeatedly shining bright lights into your eye can have very very harmful effects. A good tip is to maybe do something that causes a bit of pain but doesn't have the power to properly hurt you...some people hold ice against their skin - that gives that burning sensation without using anything dangerous such as fire or cigarettes or chemicals - or wear elastic bands around their wrists and sort of ping it against their skin to create a bit of a sting? You could try having a cold shower? I've heard of those ideas working for people. The elastic band thing worked for me. Sending you best wishes - you are precious and don't need to harm your body!

• Hi Clara, I totally get what you're saying. I've dealt with self-harm for many years. However, as good or helpful as it might feel in the moment, it really is never the answer. Burning your skin with toxic chemicals and repeatedly shining bright lights into your eye can have very very harmful effects. A good tip is to maybe do something that causes a bit of pain but doesn't have the power to properly hurt you...some people hold ice against their skin - that gives that burning sensation without using anything dangerous such as fire or cigarettes or chemicals - or wear elastic bands around their wrists and sort of ping it against their skin to create a bit of a sting? You could try having a cold shower? I've heard of those ideas working for people. The elastic band thing worked for me. Sending you best wishes - you are precious and don't need to harm your body!

Children
No Data