son 24 recently diagnosed with ASD and has drug addiction

Any advice would be appreciated. My son aged 24, has recently been diagnosed with ASD, which explains why he has been self medicating with cannabis since the age of 14 and the last 5 years with cocaine. He has sought help with our local drug service and now doesn't use cannabis only cocaine and is attending weekly meetings, but he feels that this won't help in getting clean, as he takes it to cope with his ASD. He has been assessed by mental health and the ASD service, who cannot assist him with coping mechanisms as he is on drugs. So my son cannot get any help with his ASD because he's on drugs. We are both despairing and any advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Hello I used to self med with cannabis from 15 to 29 ,mixed in that world as a way of coping and people in that world excepted me.

Done everything herion coke speed acid e i found people would have a addition to a main drug each herion or coke  or speed,probably according to there gene makeup.  mine ended up being diazepan which the doctors put me on ?? 150mg a day in the end 

I would try if i where him to stop the coke over the cannabis ,coke is far worse and much more addictive .

I think a understanding of who you are and why you are doing these things helps , but it has to come from with in ,and it is inpossible if you are surrounded by people in the drug world ,before you realise you have done it when offered.

You need time to get over the physical addiction ,,

I hope this gives you a little more understanding ,you just need to be there for him with support so he has some where to go with kind honest fair constructive advice.

• Hello I used to self med with cannabis from 15 to 29 ,mixed in that world as a way of coping and people in that world excepted me.

Done everything herion coke speed acid e i found people would have a addition to a main drug each herion or coke  or speed,probably according to there gene makeup.  mine ended up being diazepan which the doctors put me on ?? 150mg a day in the end 

I would try if i where him to stop the coke over the cannabis ,coke is far worse and much more addictive .

I think a understanding of who you are and why you are doing these things helps , but it has to come from with in ,and it is inpossible if you are surrounded by people in the drug world ,before you realise you have done it when offered.

You need time to get over the physical addiction ,,

I hope this gives you a little more understanding ,you just need to be there for him with support so he has some where to go with kind honest fair constructive advice.

Children
  • Hi Mael, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your story. The thing with the cocaine is the high it gives, which my son uses to motivate himself. Cannabis doesn't have the desired effect. He is starting back to work on Monday and we are both hoping that this helps, by keeping him active (he's a seasonal gardener). I have received some other advice to request an assessment from the local authority, which I am going to do. I am also looking into private counselling.

Thank you again.

Julie