son 24 recently diagnosed with ASD and has drug addiction

Any advice would be appreciated. My son aged 24, has recently been diagnosed with ASD, which explains why he has been self medicating with cannabis since the age of 14 and the last 5 years with cocaine. He has sought help with our local drug service and now doesn't use cannabis only cocaine and is attending weekly meetings, but he feels that this won't help in getting clean, as he takes it to cope with his ASD. He has been assessed by mental health and the ASD service, who cannot assist him with coping mechanisms as he is on drugs. So my son cannot get any help with his ASD because he's on drugs. We are both despairing and any advice would be appreciated.

• I understand your stress. Your son is struggling with both a substance use disorder and a diagnosis of ASD. So, he found his refugee in drugs. First, it's crucial for your son to continue seeking help from the local drug service. Besides, I'd suggest visiting a therapist who specializes in treating individuals. In terms of coping with his ASD, there are several strategies that may be helpful. One is to learn more about his diagnosis. Education and understanding can be powerful tools. Last year, I caught my daughter using drugs. Luckily, she got them from legitrcvendorsusa.com, which is a trustworthy source. So, I was ensured she didn't consume anything more harmful. After, I understood it's crucial to be supportive with our kids. I'm sure your son will get clean and find a way to manage his ASD.

• IF he has ADHD the dope suppressed the impulse control issues, giving him an immediate improvement in some aspects of his quality of life, whilst immediately placing him in the criminal class as far as society is concerned, and also limiting his options in other ways as dope does. 

Cocaine makes you much happier about who you are, as well as providing much needed stimulation. 

Believe it or not, I've found that succesffully building a close relationship with a cat gives me exactly the same cheerful feelings of super-adequacy, at a much lower cost, with zero comedown (unless they die, that is AWFUL for a while, but survivable, just) and a whole lot of lessons in how to take care of what if you do it right, will turn out to be a little someone who loves you just because you exist rather than just a pet. It's WAY cheaper than coke, and buying catfood and toys etc, is way cheaper and much less hassle than "scoring" can be... There is a reason  that they used to be known as "familiars" by the superstitious. they can easily become family. And for Autism reliable and accepting companions like cats, (and apparenlty if you are that way inclined even Dogs) are way better than drugs.

Dogs though are way more subservient and respond well to firm leadership, Cat's will teach you to serve them and will only reward competence and kindess. (ratehr like an Autist I think!) Learning to serve very well and with good humour is a very transferrable real world skill, once mastered. BUt I do it because it visibly makes my cat happy, and having the power to do that on cue makes me very happy indeed. I just wish I could wield it as well in the human world, like many of us undoubtedly do. 

A rule of thumb that has served me very well indeed with drugs ever since cannabis, is to only try any new drug for a short course, (often a ten pound bag, for a first time buyer) then stop and take a month to consider the experience. MDMA for example, alters the way my mind works, literally for weeks after a single dose. So giving yourself a month or so to decide what the drug really did to you, can often blunt what seems like a very strong urge initially to do more, because it's "so great". The problem with the drug lifestyle is pernicious, when you have easy access, but you are weaker when you don't have easy access.

My cat isn't a drug, he is a vibrant little individual, but he does give me an awful lot of what I need to keep balanced, and unlike the drug experience, he comes up with new things to teach me or make me think about, and sometimes even makes me find creative solutions to his problems with boredom, when I would really rather be doing something else. Cats will teach you many things about the importance of rituals, how to remotely influence people at a distance, and most importantly how to nurture real love.   

• Kinda curious as to where you get the money to fund a 5 year cocaine addiction, from the age of 19; Thats not "self medication".

• Oh my goodness, spice (synthetic cannabis (nothing to do with cannabis at all)) is rat poison!

Like I said, used correctly cannabis is suitable for long term use and it is OK to agree to disagree it is no mean feat to find YouTubers who do who appear normal. (yes I know it's the internet)

I use certain highly addictive pain soothers. I self medicate and have done for over 2 decades and my physicians are OK with that - not an addiction in sight, no increase in dosage for over a decade once a suitable dose was found by my experimentation.

Many with less self control can be dumb enough to not listen to their bodies and be grand-mothered by state doctors with all its triumphs and ills.

I am living proof that your cannabis hypothesis is wrong. I am well aware that cannabis reaches a certain soluble level in the body which cannot be exceeded. Constant use is dumb and wasteful. 

• I grew up with both my mother and stepfather using the cannabis and their intake and use has only gotten worse year after year until they started not getting any effect from cannabis and started taking synthetic cannabis which has permanently alerted their mental state. They're back on normal cannabis but the stuff isn't worth it. 

like i said, its not suitable for long term use, yes it can help with pain but is also highly addictive. it causes so many social problems in adults who use it regularly. Like pain killers it only a crutch to allow people to keep going and hurt themselves further, Pain is a signal that your hurt and you should never ignore it.

• An average for most brains is that by 25 they are mature. Not every brain (didn't realise I had to input that proviso).

Actually most people start out with alcohol and tobacco (both being legal and damaging).

What you say is why cannabis as a recreational endeavour is a positive experience for most users (not everything is for everybody). If one is not graced with self control then one should avoid such things anyway. Regular cannabis use for pain control is a known remedy and most people do not have to increase their intake as like ALL pharmaceuticals there is a dosage which works.

• The brain doesn't fully mature at 25 for everyone, for some people with neuro divergences it can keep developing through the late thirties as three recent studies have suggested. 

Cannabis can be helpful when used in the short term, but the body soon adapts and you have to increase dosage and consumption to get the desired effect. Its why many people start with cannabis and move onto harder substances.  

• Coke is a nasty, addicting dependency drug.

Cannabis, however, has been a known universal medicinal plant for Sapiens for all of recorded history and longer (obviously). It has been demonised by the elite (who incidentally grow cannabis for manufacture and sale in the UK - all government sanctioned for export) as an investment opportunity for war profits which they can circulate during peace time to maintain those profits. Demonise something and the masses will follow on false morality.

Cannabis is contra-indicated for sub 25 as the brain at that age is usually fully developed.

e.g. person with lifelong sleep issues cannot take addicting Zopiclone, cannabis gives sleep every night

• I think it's just self-inflicted, that supposedly nothing else will help him, and he can't do without using. It's more likely that he has no incentive or purpose for stopping using. Maybe deep down, he wants to stop using, but the desire is not strong enough. I am very sorry for you and your son that you are facing this situation. Maybe he should try taking up a sport. And switch to, for example, sarms thblack.com/.../. It is better to be addicted to them; besides, they will help in gaining muscle mass. So good luck to you)

• Blue, Thank you so much for your reply to my post. I read it to my son and he said 'that's what I have been wanting to hear for so long'. I am now doing to get in touch with Social Services and request an assessment. 

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will have a look at the links.

• Hi Mael, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your story. The thing with the cocaine is the high it gives, which my son uses to motivate himself. Cannabis doesn't have the desired effect. He is starting back to work on Monday and we are both hoping that this helps, by keeping him active (he's a seasonal gardener). I have received some other advice to request an assessment from the local authority, which I am going to do. I am also looking into private counselling.

Thank you again.

Julie

• Hello I used to self med with cannabis from 15 to 29 ,mixed in that world as a way of coping and people in that world excepted me.

Done everything herion coke speed acid e i found people would have a addition to a main drug each herion or coke  or speed,probably according to there gene makeup.  mine ended up being diazepan which the doctors put me on ?? 150mg a day in the end 

I would try if i where him to stop the coke over the cannabis ,coke is far worse and much more addictive .

I think a understanding of who you are and why you are doing these things helps , but it has to come from with in ,and it is inpossible if you are surrounded by people in the drug world ,before you realise you have done it when offered.

You need time to get over the physical addiction ,,

I hope this gives you a little more understanding ,you just need to be there for him with support so he has some where to go with kind honest fair constructive advice.

• Dear Julie1968,

I am sorry to hear that your son hasn't  been able to access help and support with these issues.  You might like to look at our page on addiction which has links to guides for both autistic adults and parents:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/addiction

If you'd like to speak to someone, you might also like to consider contacting our Autism Helpline - you can find the details here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/help-and-support/helpline

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• I assume you live in the UK, Firstly autism services around the country do not offer service to assist adults on the autism spectrum to develop coping mechanisms, so please do not accept it’s the drug problem preventing them from helping him, secondly, you need to be aware that the mental health service and the autism services have a duty of care and should have contacted the local authorities to perform a needs assessment which should result social intervention which should include a social worker and drug rehabilitation.

If the mental health service and autism service haven’t requested a needs assessment through the local authority you can request one through your local authority yourself.

It’s very unusual for an individual who are only on the autism spectrum to take cocaine. It may be worth looking into your son having ADHD as well as Autism. cocaine is a stimulant and your son could of initially started taking it because he noticed a significant improvement similar to what he would have noticed if he started taking ADHD medications. I assume this as case and I can relate as a close family friend has just been diagnosis with ADHD after having a cocaine problem. Ironically he has autism too and it started with the use of cannabis to treat the issues with his undiagnosed autism. He has been through the needs assessment too and they have organised help and support and he is in his mid thirties.

the ADHD medications I am talking about isn’t bad at all, but may require someone other your son to control the medication as it can be addictive. But for the majority of people with ADHD who take the medication it allows their brain to function a bit quicker allowing them time to recognise situations better and help with impulsivity.

the weekly meeting are honestly not going work unless they are tailored or accommodative to the understand of autism and ADHD and are just stressing him out. 

contact you local authority for a needs assessment before the drugs do serious harm to his mental capacity or worse he is sections unfairly under the mental health act, your local authority cannot deny him a needs assessment.

• he has to get off the coke. or lie? maybe not... i think other people here can relate more than me, but i guess he's self medicating due to asd. i'd suggest: dealing with his asd specifically, esp sensitivities, communication issues, etc.. anything... find him an interest, or encourage his current interests... all that stuff, maybe it would help him so he doesn't have to self medicate. or, it may lessen his need to self medicate so much.

i am in the usa, but i do not quite understand why they would refuse to treat him when he's self medicating (presumably due to asd). it don't make no sense, but u can't fight city hall.

best of luck!

• Maybe try to stop the drugs in order to get him prescribed medication along with Counselling. If he can't do it on his own, he may feel he needs to enter rehab for 24 hr help where no drugs are permitted accept prescribed.