son 24 recently diagnosed with ASD and has drug addiction

Any advice would be appreciated. My son aged 24, has recently been diagnosed with ASD, which explains why he has been self medicating with cannabis since the age of 14 and the last 5 years with cocaine. He has sought help with our local drug service and now doesn't use cannabis only cocaine and is attending weekly meetings, but he feels that this won't help in getting clean, as he takes it to cope with his ASD. He has been assessed by mental health and the ASD service, who cannot assist him with coping mechanisms as he is on drugs. So my son cannot get any help with his ASD because he's on drugs. We are both despairing and any advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • he has to get off the coke. or lie? maybe not... i think other people here can relate more than me, but i guess he's self medicating due to asd. i'd suggest: dealing with his asd specifically, esp sensitivities, communication issues, etc.. anything... find him an interest, or encourage his current interests... all that stuff, maybe it would help him so he doesn't have to self medicate. or, it may lessen his need to self medicate so much.

i am in the usa, but i do not quite understand why they would refuse to treat him when he's self medicating (presumably due to asd). it don't make no sense, but u can't fight city hall.

best of luck!

• he has to get off the coke. or lie? maybe not... i think other people here can relate more than me, but i guess he's self medicating due to asd. i'd suggest: dealing with his asd specifically, esp sensitivities, communication issues, etc.. anything... find him an interest, or encourage his current interests... all that stuff, maybe it would help him so he doesn't have to self medicate. or, it may lessen his need to self medicate so much.

i am in the usa, but i do not quite understand why they would refuse to treat him when he's self medicating (presumably due to asd). it don't make no sense, but u can't fight city hall.

best of luck!

Children
No Data