Computer and tablet addiction?

My daughter is 12 and spends practically all day on her tablet or laptop,  I have tried turning the internet off for some of the day but it causes so many arguments,  she's moody when not playing her favourite online games, she shouts at me and her brother.  She literally sits on her bed all day o lying coming out for her dinner.   Does anyone have any advice, or know where I can go for help please?  I cant stand watching her wasting her life away, doing nothing but playing online games. Thankyou

Parents
  • Would she be willing to simply sit down with you and talk it through?  As others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about the reasons behind her apparent reliance on the internet.  This is something that my older son now says he wishes we'd asked more about when he was younger.  So sitting down and, in the first instance, listening to her talk about how she feels about it and the needs it fulfils might be helpful.   Does it, for example, mean that she is finding it difficult to connect with her peer group and the computer time is a safe retreat where she feels in control?  Is it more generally an escape from other issues with which she might need some support?  Are there some positives to be found in her usage that could be developed in other ways? 

I'd suggest listening and drilling down into the whys and wherefores.  Plus, once you're done listening, you could maybe come up with a plan together which could address any concerns as she (and you) may see them - more of a cocreative process in which she feels involved.  Something which could be revisited and refined over time.     

• Would she be willing to simply sit down with you and talk it through?  As others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about the reasons behind her apparent reliance on the internet.  This is something that my older son now says he wishes we'd asked more about when he was younger.  So sitting down and, in the first instance, listening to her talk about how she feels about it and the needs it fulfils might be helpful.   Does it, for example, mean that she is finding it difficult to connect with her peer group and the computer time is a safe retreat where she feels in control?  Is it more generally an escape from other issues with which she might need some support?  Are there some positives to be found in her usage that could be developed in other ways? 

I'd suggest listening and drilling down into the whys and wherefores.  Plus, once you're done listening, you could maybe come up with a plan together which could address any concerns as she (and you) may see them - more of a cocreative process in which she feels involved.  Something which could be revisited and refined over time.     

Children
No Data