New diagnosis

Hello All,

I've was diagnosed with 'Asperger Syndrome' and 'Anxiety Disorder' only 3 days ago. I already have a diagnosis of 'Klinefelter Syndrome' some 24 years ago. I'm a 52 year old married male.

I'm at a bit of a loss as how I can improve myself or if that is at all possible. I struggle with anxiety from the moment I wake up, to the time I go to sleep. Sometimes its bubbling just under the surface, a sort of tingling feeling in my head. Other times it's just getting in the way of life. At other times its making me feel that the best course of action is suicide.

My wife had suspected that I might have AS but hoped that I didn't. That how I am was just me being lazy and thoughtless, not me being my normal self.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Parents
  • Now that you have a diagnosis and it has confirmed some of your traits as being you and not being deliberately lazy/thoughtless etc. I suppose the next stage is a joint project with you and your partner to get to the bottom of where the communication and understanding has broken down.

I have some traits that drive my partner mad, but he also loves and wouldn't change others.  Like NTs, we are all individuals and as such, come with our own strengths and weaknesses.

I've started working with my partner to understand the condition as he has only recently started to realise how much I am struggle and get stressed over certain things.  Sometimes that awareness on both sides of the relationship is all it needs.  Saying that, I have also realised that there are some weaknesses that I need to work on as well, as it is give and take in relationships.  Don't aim for perfection, but understanding and see what ways you can both help to make things easier on your relationship and life in general.

• Now that you have a diagnosis and it has confirmed some of your traits as being you and not being deliberately lazy/thoughtless etc. I suppose the next stage is a joint project with you and your partner to get to the bottom of where the communication and understanding has broken down.

I have some traits that drive my partner mad, but he also loves and wouldn't change others.  Like NTs, we are all individuals and as such, come with our own strengths and weaknesses.

I've started working with my partner to understand the condition as he has only recently started to realise how much I am struggle and get stressed over certain things.  Sometimes that awareness on both sides of the relationship is all it needs.  Saying that, I have also realised that there are some weaknesses that I need to work on as well, as it is give and take in relationships.  Don't aim for perfection, but understanding and see what ways you can both help to make things easier on your relationship and life in general.

Children
No Data