Hello!

Good morning. I've not been on here for years so thought I would reintroduce myself.  Our son has a number of conditions, autism being one of them.  He also has a partial deletion of chromosome 9, adhd, hypermobility syndrome and anxiety.  We live in Surrey.

Hope to join in some chats and get to know everyone.

Parents
  • Hi - I am in a very similar boat in that I've just re-joined online community after a good couple of years. My son is 8 and has autism. Lots of anxiety probs at moment and almost OCD kind of thinking-patterns and behaviours. I have been struggling knowing how to handle a lot of it. He also has hypermobility like your son and falls over a lot! Nice to meet you :-)

• Hello

i am brand new on this site.

i have an 8yr old daughter with autism and ADHD.  She has lots of problems at school and high anxiety levels I have lost count of the number of times I have been up the school.  The school just doesn't understand her, I think just some kindness and patience is all she needs.  Nice to meet you both.

how are your boys coping with the hot weather?

x

• Hello

i am brand new on this site.

i have an 8yr old daughter with autism and ADHD.  She has lots of problems at school and high anxiety levels I have lost count of the number of times I have been up the school.  The school just doesn't understand her, I think just some kindness and patience is all she needs.  Nice to meet you both.

how are your boys coping with the hot weather?

x

Children
  • Hi - nice to meet you too :-) 

My son is a Winter boy through and through. He likes it insect free and cold. He will never wear shorts and insists every night on going to bed with full pjs on and socks as well as windows closed (we leave tiny gap for health reasons and ensure he has lots of water to drink!)  Have to say though - i've just had a lovely trip out with him. New barber to usual one and he coped great getting his hair cut and was trying to be sociable and chit-chatting (helped that barber was lovely guy!) and then we went to KFC and park. KFC he got mildly anxious over baby in pram (he is almost phobic about babies!) but with the help of his DS and headphones, he was fine :-) We then went to park and he played without freaking out about insects for first time in looooong time. He didn't even get upset by birds tweeting (all usual issues normally) but instead had fun chasing pigeons. I'm so happy as felt like for a few hours, I got my happy boy back!

So sorry to hear your poor girl is struggling at school. Does she have an EHCP?Do school follow it if so and give her enough support? Anxiety is heartbreaking to see in our children isn't it though and there truly is no quick fix! We have started a worry diary also and that seems to be helping a bit. Each day is different though.

How does your girl react to the hot weather? XX

• Sorry Dear ,you say the school does not understand her , is she at a special school for autistic children ,if not she will not understand them either.

Luckily my Grandson was 2 years old when statemented and from not being able to talk he has come on in leaps and bounds by being in the right place , He is 19 , will leave colleague shortly and go on to hopefully find a job.

getting into the right school has been very rewarding . See your local education authority