New and Confused

Hello, everyone.

My mother attempted to diagnose me with Asperger's yesterday (she's not an expert) when she noticed I was acting moody and making lists. For example, I make lists about makeup/hairstyles I want to try, books I want to read, etc. She believes I do this obsessively. I'm 22 and haven't made an appointment with a doctor due to the virus affecting the NHS. 

I suffer from major depression and anxiety and I do find it difficult to make new friends. I have always put this down to being shy and reserved. I don't struggle to read facial expressions, discern tone of voice/jokes, and I do seek comfort from others. My mother's concern stems from my not always knowing what to say when people talk to me (particularly when it's not a specific greeting/question) and because I make notes/lists (which she believes is a repetitive behaviour and also a sign that I have OCD as well). I also channel my interests into studying.

What I've read about Asperger's online unsettles me: I've come across articles telling people to 'grieve' for what they could've been and that they will never attain a normal lifestyle. So I'm now feeling very upset in case my mother is right about my symptoms, and want to find out more from those more informed!

Parents
  • hello rebecca

i am autistic. 

you mention that you would like to find out more from those more informed. 

you sound as if you are very logical and have thought this through very carefully. therefore, i would suggest that in the best thing to do in the first instance, is to book an appointment with your gp. this will allow you to do two things: you can speak to your gp regarding any concerns you have for your wellbeing. as you mention you already have depression and anxiety, it's a good place to start by speaking with your gp about anything that you're worried about. you can then also enquire regarding autism and your gp should be able to answer your questions and explore all your concerns, your worries, and your anxieties about that possibility.

at the moment, consider all things possibilites, none of which are anything to worry about.

to reassure you somewhat, autism is nothing to be afraid of. 

saying that, until you have any diffinitive diagnosis from a professional, or have spoken to your gp regarding your concerns, please consider the possibility that you may very well not have autism. don't fret over something that might not be.

you sound as if you are doing the right thing by studying and channelling your energies into positive things for yourself. that's a good thing.

i hope the above helps, and please regard all i have said as open opinion. 

• hello rebecca

i am autistic. 

you mention that you would like to find out more from those more informed. 

you sound as if you are very logical and have thought this through very carefully. therefore, i would suggest that in the best thing to do in the first instance, is to book an appointment with your gp. this will allow you to do two things: you can speak to your gp regarding any concerns you have for your wellbeing. as you mention you already have depression and anxiety, it's a good place to start by speaking with your gp about anything that you're worried about. you can then also enquire regarding autism and your gp should be able to answer your questions and explore all your concerns, your worries, and your anxieties about that possibility.

at the moment, consider all things possibilites, none of which are anything to worry about.

to reassure you somewhat, autism is nothing to be afraid of. 

saying that, until you have any diffinitive diagnosis from a professional, or have spoken to your gp regarding your concerns, please consider the possibility that you may very well not have autism. don't fret over something that might not be.

you sound as if you are doing the right thing by studying and channelling your energies into positive things for yourself. that's a good thing.

i hope the above helps, and please regard all i have said as open opinion. 

Children
No Data