New and need help

Hi everyone. this is all new to me. I'm waiting for a assessment. I have been looking on the Internet for information about meltdowns and mostly they say it can happen anywhere and anytime. is this true? Or like my experience I have very little meltdowns.  in front of people but it builds up days or weeks at a time until my head feels like it is going to explored then I have a meltdown when I'm on my own. Any advice or information would be great.

sorry for the spell and grammar. hope you can understand what I mean I have dyslexia anyway HELLO to you all!!!!

• Hey Artbook,

Yes I have ASD. My brother is also autistic and builds up a breakdown. It shouldnt cause doubt. I think because us Aspies usually struggle with some form of communication it makes it hard to express our stress and pain until its too much. So dont think it cancels stuff out.

• Hi thanks for the replies 

seaqueen hale hope you don't mind me asking and you dont have to say. you say it sound like a coping mechanism like you, do you have ASD? I'm still wait for a assessment i have a few other sign of ASD but one thing that has put doubt is that I have my meltdowns from a build up. 

• Hi,

It is possible for them to happen anywhere, however you sound like you have a copying mechanism like me. If you do not want to break down in front of people, you will only have a small one.

My break downs or meltdown build up the same, I would advise to not be alone when they happen, I always feel better when Im with a trusted person, or I can go to them after.

Another point is that my meltdowns used to be very often but are not anymore. I found they were down to stress mainly, things that stress me or frustrate me build up and I break. But once I noticed this and combated what was triggering them I have found that they occur less.

Hope this helps. If you want to talk just ask.

• Guess what they mean is that it can happen in that way – for some (or many) people. You don’t seem to be one of them, which is a good thing, I’d say. So don’t get worried that it will suddenly start only because someone may (or may not) decide that you have ASD.

Perhaps better try not to look for the symptoms that you read about in yourself if you haven’t already noticed them before reading about them. It quite easily ruins all your confidence in yourself because you suddenly read that you are complete rubbish in lots of things you may have thought you are doing o.k. with so far. The thing is that all these lists of symptoms are quite general and aren’t actually about you as an individual and you may well do pretty well in things someone else with an ASD really struggles with. Wished I managed to follow my own advice…