just signed up

Hi. New to all this, just signed up. I started looking on the site for help and support and came across this and though id give it a go. After a really difficult day with my son (nearly 8) I feel talking to someone who understands what it means to have a child with ASD might help. Most of my friends and family are great but no one can fully understand and appreciate how difficult things can get unless they have experienced it day in day out. 

• Hi there having been in a similar situation I would say go with your mothers instinct. I have always had a gut feeling that something wasn't quite right with my then 6 year old and now 2 years later we have had a diagnosis which is a relief as I just knew. Now 8 we are still seeking what help is out there but at least we can try to help him as best as we can. 

• Hi there

I've just signed up and I'm in the midst of trying to get some help for our 8 year old daughter. My husband thinks she's just "a strong personality" but I'm concerned she's on the spectrum. I've spoken to others (school, brownies etc) and so far noone has laughed at me. My family aren't supportive and my inlaws think she just needs more one to one time with me or my husband. I feel worried and angry and overwhelmed by it all. 

• My mum tends to just give me my space, and time away from everything but it usually takes a while for me to calm down after a meltdown. She usually just lets me get my anger out and will know that its not my fault and that I dont mean it. Even just sitting with your child, you dont have to talk but just so they know that you are there. What really helps me is my mum writes me notes and then will put them under my door and ill respond my notes when Im just not up to talking.Hope this helps x

• Hi Folks

New to this. We have a 9 year old daughter just diagnosed with a high functioning ASD. Very challenging....Hoping just to not feel quite so alone with it all.

In other news...Has anyone got any tips on how to get school shoes and socks on her in the morning?...takes about an hour everyday,  so always late for school if she makes it there at all.

• Thanks for the suggestion I will take a look at that Facebook page. Yes there are certainly good and bad days. We seem to be having more bad than good at the moment. He is waking up very highly strung so as they day goes on he is exploding and having massive  meltdowns. How do cope with this? Is there anything your mum does to help you that maybe you could suggest I do to help him. :)

• hey,

I recently signed up to and the whole community is so friendly, so welcome. I have high functining autism, or aspergers, so I can relate to your son. We have good days and bad. My mum actually showed me  really good facebook page for autistic children and parents its called thegirlwiththecurlyhair. You should check it out x