First timer.

I am a 34 year old male with Asperger's syndrome. I've been "officially" diagnosed since I was 19 years old. The "professionals" now think I may have borderline personality disorder. Other than my parents, I have very little to no social interaction. General "life" frightens me. I don't seem to fit in. Anyone else feel the same??

Parents
  • Hi Dexter

I wonder if it might help others to comment if you could provide more detail on your problems and perhaps (for now) narrow it down to the issue that currently concerns you most?

For example: if the main issue is your continuously and rapidly changing moods:

• Have you always suffered from this?  Or is it possibly a reaction to new (or cumulative) circumstances?  Or perhaps growing exasperation with a long-term situation?
    • What type of moods are primarily involved, e.g. anger, irritability, anxiety, euphoria, depression?
    • Do you feel you get enough sleep?  (I have chronic insomnia, which dramatically affects my mood, and of course forms a vicious circle.)
    • Can you notice any pattern in the mood changes? Have the "professionals" suggested you keep a diary?
    • Does your mood change according to situation, e.g. location, social interaction, work, reading or hearing something?
    • Have food/drink allergies or sensitivities - and medication side-effects - been ruled out?  Also any physical health issues?
    • Could your "coping strategies" be contributing to the problem?  (I only mention this because I use coping strategies that are not recommended and in some ways may exacerbate my problems, but sometimes one has to be pragmatic and choose the lesser of two evils!)
    • What effects do the mood changes have on your behaviour?

What I'm driving at is whether the mood changes might be primarily due to:

a) life/work circumstances, allergies or other health issues that could affect anyone

b) situations that seem likely to be directly related to your Asperger's

c) co-morbidities with your Asperger's - has, for instance, bipolarity been ruled out?

Perhaps you've already been through all this with the professionals.  I'm just wondering if more information might enable one of us to help you arrive at an explanation, if not a solution.

My only "qualification" is that I've lived with Asperger's for 56 years (mostly without knowing it).  Although I have chronic depression, I don't often have mood swings.  If I do, they are usually in reaction (or over-reaction) to a particular situation, and/or lack of sleep.

I can certainly identify with your other feelings of not fitting in and being frightened by life generally - both of which are probably due to our misalignment with the neurotypical world.

(Edit: sorry, I only just noticed that the "Anonymous" post, which I hadn't realised was yours, does give more detail on some of your issues, though I think most of my questions are still relevant.)

• Hi Dexter

I wonder if it might help others to comment if you could provide more detail on your problems and perhaps (for now) narrow it down to the issue that currently concerns you most?

For example: if the main issue is your continuously and rapidly changing moods:

• Have you always suffered from this?  Or is it possibly a reaction to new (or cumulative) circumstances?  Or perhaps growing exasperation with a long-term situation?
    • What type of moods are primarily involved, e.g. anger, irritability, anxiety, euphoria, depression?
    • Do you feel you get enough sleep?  (I have chronic insomnia, which dramatically affects my mood, and of course forms a vicious circle.)
    • Can you notice any pattern in the mood changes? Have the "professionals" suggested you keep a diary?
    • Does your mood change according to situation, e.g. location, social interaction, work, reading or hearing something?
    • Have food/drink allergies or sensitivities - and medication side-effects - been ruled out?  Also any physical health issues?
    • Could your "coping strategies" be contributing to the problem?  (I only mention this because I use coping strategies that are not recommended and in some ways may exacerbate my problems, but sometimes one has to be pragmatic and choose the lesser of two evils!)
    • What effects do the mood changes have on your behaviour?

What I'm driving at is whether the mood changes might be primarily due to:

a) life/work circumstances, allergies or other health issues that could affect anyone

b) situations that seem likely to be directly related to your Asperger's

c) co-morbidities with your Asperger's - has, for instance, bipolarity been ruled out?

Perhaps you've already been through all this with the professionals.  I'm just wondering if more information might enable one of us to help you arrive at an explanation, if not a solution.

My only "qualification" is that I've lived with Asperger's for 56 years (mostly without knowing it).  Although I have chronic depression, I don't often have mood swings.  If I do, they are usually in reaction (or over-reaction) to a particular situation, and/or lack of sleep.

I can certainly identify with your other feelings of not fitting in and being frightened by life generally - both of which are probably due to our misalignment with the neurotypical world.

(Edit: sorry, I only just noticed that the "Anonymous" post, which I hadn't realised was yours, does give more detail on some of your issues, though I think most of my questions are still relevant.)

Children
No Data