First timer.

I am a 34 year old male with Asperger's syndrome. I've been "officially" diagnosed since I was 19 years old. The "professionals" now think I may have borderline personality disorder. Other than my parents, I have very little to no social interaction. General "life" frightens me. I don't seem to fit in. Anyone else feel the same??

Parents
  • In general, yes, but if you could elaborate it would be more helpful.

I've been overwhelmed, depressed, and feeling unable to cope with life and with people for years. Not knowing about Aspergers, and certainly not thinking that I may have Aspergers, I tried a lot of things to deal with life in a healthier way -- things that helped but always seemed to leave something out.  They would help, but only to a point.

Now that I'm learning about Aspergers and what it means to have it, and how to cope with it, I'm starting to really notice what is driving me crazy and starting to be able to take steps to improve situations.

For example, right now is vacation time where I live.  Usually I would have breakfast just with my wife, but now my kids are home, and I'm having breakfast with them, too, and they keep turning on music. Knowing that people with Aspergers may get overloaded much more easily from sensory input than other people has been helpful. Instead of thinking, "what's wrong with me!  Why am I so frustrated!" I can say -- oh, of course, everyone is talking and there's all this background noise.  So I shut off the music.

But I don't have to do it out of anger or feeling that people are intentionally annoying me and I have to fight against them to stop. I can just acknowledge that these things would not bother other people the way they bother me, and it's just the way my brain is wired.  So I can take measures to protect myself without resentments and ill-will towards anyone.

That's just one tiny little example.

I'd appreciate hearing more of your story and what you're dealing with.

• In general, yes, but if you could elaborate it would be more helpful.

I've been overwhelmed, depressed, and feeling unable to cope with life and with people for years. Not knowing about Aspergers, and certainly not thinking that I may have Aspergers, I tried a lot of things to deal with life in a healthier way -- things that helped but always seemed to leave something out.  They would help, but only to a point.

Now that I'm learning about Aspergers and what it means to have it, and how to cope with it, I'm starting to really notice what is driving me crazy and starting to be able to take steps to improve situations.

For example, right now is vacation time where I live.  Usually I would have breakfast just with my wife, but now my kids are home, and I'm having breakfast with them, too, and they keep turning on music. Knowing that people with Aspergers may get overloaded much more easily from sensory input than other people has been helpful. Instead of thinking, "what's wrong with me!  Why am I so frustrated!" I can say -- oh, of course, everyone is talking and there's all this background noise.  So I shut off the music.

But I don't have to do it out of anger or feeling that people are intentionally annoying me and I have to fight against them to stop. I can just acknowledge that these things would not bother other people the way they bother me, and it's just the way my brain is wired.  So I can take measures to protect myself without resentments and ill-will towards anyone.

That's just one tiny little example.

I'd appreciate hearing more of your story and what you're dealing with.

Children
No Data