Diagnosed at 47

Hi all

I have been in the mental health system since my 30s, but I won't start on that or we'll be here all day. Let's just leave it at being diagnosed with GAD, depression, panic atttacks and social phobia.

After getting nowhere and just seeming to add to the list of "diagnoses" depending on which counsellor or CBT therapist I saw a lovely therapist finally asked the question.. Have you ever been assessed for Aspergers.

This is something  have been wondering about for ages but didnt know where to start. But about 6 months ago or more a very helpful GP managed to track down a local ASD diagnostic service for adults and off I toddled.

A very thorough assessment process later resulted in a diagnosis of ASD today, specifically around "aspergers" . I know its not a magic wand but the relief at finally having a diagnosis that actually makes sense and encompasses all the issues I have is massive.

Parents
  • nuts I just typd up a long reply and I wasn't logged in :S

I will look into the ADEPT thing, thanks for that.

I was also bullied relentlessly through school, I dreaded breaktimes and used to hate being outside wandering around on my own while everyone else was in groups or with friends. I just coldn't work out how to fit in or why I wasn't liked. I started helping in the library to avoid being outside breaktimes or I'd hide under a table in a classroom. I got caught a couple of times but no one ever asked why I was there, just got a telling off

Sleep is a real issue, I have restless leg syndrome and I am also a very restless sleeper, it's exhausting. I have tried valerian root but it doesn't work, my GP won't prescribe anything either. 

As far as relationships go I always wanted to be in a relationship .. desperately .. because that's what "normal" people did. I felt like a freak because I couldn't hold down relationships. Now, like all of my aspie/ASD "obsessions" since deciding I don't need to be in a relationship and in fact they are a pain in the neck, I absolutely don't want one and have no interest in it at all :D

Does anyone else also suffer from hyper hydrosis, excessive sweating .. It's the bane of my life. I don't know if it's linked but it's definitely an inherited thing as my father and sister also suffer

• nuts I just typd up a long reply and I wasn't logged in :S

I will look into the ADEPT thing, thanks for that.

I was also bullied relentlessly through school, I dreaded breaktimes and used to hate being outside wandering around on my own while everyone else was in groups or with friends. I just coldn't work out how to fit in or why I wasn't liked. I started helping in the library to avoid being outside breaktimes or I'd hide under a table in a classroom. I got caught a couple of times but no one ever asked why I was there, just got a telling off

Sleep is a real issue, I have restless leg syndrome and I am also a very restless sleeper, it's exhausting. I have tried valerian root but it doesn't work, my GP won't prescribe anything either. 

As far as relationships go I always wanted to be in a relationship .. desperately .. because that's what "normal" people did. I felt like a freak because I couldn't hold down relationships. Now, like all of my aspie/ASD "obsessions" since deciding I don't need to be in a relationship and in fact they are a pain in the neck, I absolutely don't want one and have no interest in it at all :D

Does anyone else also suffer from hyper hydrosis, excessive sweating .. It's the bane of my life. I don't know if it's linked but it's definitely an inherited thing as my father and sister also suffer

Children
No Data