Diagnosed at 47

Hi all

I have been in the mental health system since my 30s, but I won't start on that or we'll be here all day. Let's just leave it at being diagnosed with GAD, depression, panic atttacks and social phobia.

After getting nowhere and just seeming to add to the list of "diagnoses" depending on which counsellor or CBT therapist I saw a lovely therapist finally asked the question.. Have you ever been assessed for Aspergers.

This is something  have been wondering about for ages but didnt know where to start. But about 6 months ago or more a very helpful GP managed to track down a local ASD diagnostic service for adults and off I toddled.

A very thorough assessment process later resulted in a diagnosis of ASD today, specifically around "aspergers" . I know its not a magic wand but the relief at finally having a diagnosis that actually makes sense and encompasses all the issues I have is massive.

Parents
  • Hi - like you, I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome only recently (three months ago) and at an even older age (55).  It required ten years of me badgering GPs for an assessment until one finally took me seriously.  For me too, the diagnosis was mainly about explaining the past, almost like the denouement in a prolonged mystery story!

I've had similar lifelong issues around anxiety, depression and social phobia - not many panic attacks, as my coping mechanism has gradually become avoidance!  I gave up work years ago (though I don't claim benefits) mainly because of chronic insomnia - has that been a problem for you too?  I understand it's very common with Asperger's.

Interesting that you mention your 30s as being the time from when you've been "in the mental health system", as I did not receive any sustained therapy (for anxiety and depression) until I was 34.  That was CBT, which I found totally unhelpful - in fact, it made me worse by causing me to invent or exaggerate negative thoughts.  My insomnia only became a regular problem at the age of 40.

Like you, I feel relieved by the diagnosis, and don't blame myself as much as I used to, especially for my occasional "stupid" meltdowns, but I still have the feeling that I'm continuing the gradual emotional and mental decline that really began in my 30s (although the period from around the age of 11 to 22 was perhaps even worse).  If only there had been Asperger diagnoses available to me when I was younger...

• Hi - like you, I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome only recently (three months ago) and at an even older age (55).  It required ten years of me badgering GPs for an assessment until one finally took me seriously.  For me too, the diagnosis was mainly about explaining the past, almost like the denouement in a prolonged mystery story!

I've had similar lifelong issues around anxiety, depression and social phobia - not many panic attacks, as my coping mechanism has gradually become avoidance!  I gave up work years ago (though I don't claim benefits) mainly because of chronic insomnia - has that been a problem for you too?  I understand it's very common with Asperger's.

Interesting that you mention your 30s as being the time from when you've been "in the mental health system", as I did not receive any sustained therapy (for anxiety and depression) until I was 34.  That was CBT, which I found totally unhelpful - in fact, it made me worse by causing me to invent or exaggerate negative thoughts.  My insomnia only became a regular problem at the age of 40.

Like you, I feel relieved by the diagnosis, and don't blame myself as much as I used to, especially for my occasional "stupid" meltdowns, but I still have the feeling that I'm continuing the gradual emotional and mental decline that really began in my 30s (although the period from around the age of 11 to 22 was perhaps even worse).  If only there had been Asperger diagnoses available to me when I was younger...

Children
No Data