hello

Hello my name is Gary im 24 and last year i found out i had autistic spectrum disorder i am currently on anti depressants. I havent really spoken to anyone about autism and no one in my family has any clue what to say about it because im the first know member of the family with autism in any form. I just dont really know much about it and the doctor who diagnosed me didnt really have much to say. I had a bad life when it comes to other people and spent the most of my life avoiding people because of it. I thought it might be good to talk to people with autism to find out more about it.    

Parents
  • I was very saddened to read your story, but the important thing to remember here is that you now know why things have been so difficult.

You said you were in your twenties, well you still have the rest of your life to live, you just need to find your own way of doing it.  

I am not autistic, but have just spent the last two years proving that my daughter (8) is.  My husband and his mum didn't believe me, or I think want to believe due to the stigma that used to be there.  Unfortunately they both passed away, mum in 2014 and husband in May this year.  This has been a difficult adjustment for my daughter, and becuase she has been undergoing tests for autism, wasn't viable for mental health support, although with two hugely important berievements in her short life, could have done with it.

I only received confirmation a few days ago, and I have already noted a change in both of us.  I am not so hard on her, and it is as though there has been massive pressure released from her, (do you feel a release of pressure - there is  an explanation now?).  She seems to understand that she is different, but that it is ok, there is a reason.  And you need to believe that too.  

Nowadays there is so much help surrounding Autism and nothing like the stigma. The guys above said it, talking about your issues with people who understand (without any prejudice or pre-conceived ideas) really does help.

I have spoken to a couple of parents with autistic children, and we just connect, the behaviours that we see in the children are normal for us.  You need to connect with people your own age, or just with similar interests that you can talk to.

In regards to the Depression, I can help there, I am nearly 40 (gosh that sounds scary!), and have suffered with depression all of my life.  I have never taken pills and aim never too.  Get back to the doctors and ask for some thereapy.  My arguement with pills is this;  If I am depressed because of a berievement for example that in a few months will become easier, then maybe I might consider it (I haven't despite what has happened, it is just an analagy), but if you cannot change the circumstances (like being autistic, or for me reasons I don't even know why) I cannot change it, so no matter how long I am taking pills for, when I come off them, I will still be me, so what is the point, they will just make me feel bad whilst taking them.

Important - do not stop taking the pills, without GP advice first, you will need to be weened off.

Life is worth fighting for, even if it is hard, you just need to find you again to make it worthwhile.  

look afteryourself, and keep talking. (sorry if it was long)

• I was very saddened to read your story, but the important thing to remember here is that you now know why things have been so difficult.

You said you were in your twenties, well you still have the rest of your life to live, you just need to find your own way of doing it.  

I am not autistic, but have just spent the last two years proving that my daughter (8) is.  My husband and his mum didn't believe me, or I think want to believe due to the stigma that used to be there.  Unfortunately they both passed away, mum in 2014 and husband in May this year.  This has been a difficult adjustment for my daughter, and becuase she has been undergoing tests for autism, wasn't viable for mental health support, although with two hugely important berievements in her short life, could have done with it.

I only received confirmation a few days ago, and I have already noted a change in both of us.  I am not so hard on her, and it is as though there has been massive pressure released from her, (do you feel a release of pressure - there is  an explanation now?).  She seems to understand that she is different, but that it is ok, there is a reason.  And you need to believe that too.  

Nowadays there is so much help surrounding Autism and nothing like the stigma. The guys above said it, talking about your issues with people who understand (without any prejudice or pre-conceived ideas) really does help.

I have spoken to a couple of parents with autistic children, and we just connect, the behaviours that we see in the children are normal for us.  You need to connect with people your own age, or just with similar interests that you can talk to.

In regards to the Depression, I can help there, I am nearly 40 (gosh that sounds scary!), and have suffered with depression all of my life.  I have never taken pills and aim never too.  Get back to the doctors and ask for some thereapy.  My arguement with pills is this;  If I am depressed because of a berievement for example that in a few months will become easier, then maybe I might consider it (I haven't despite what has happened, it is just an analagy), but if you cannot change the circumstances (like being autistic, or for me reasons I don't even know why) I cannot change it, so no matter how long I am taking pills for, when I come off them, I will still be me, so what is the point, they will just make me feel bad whilst taking them.

Important - do not stop taking the pills, without GP advice first, you will need to be weened off.

Life is worth fighting for, even if it is hard, you just need to find you again to make it worthwhile.  

look afteryourself, and keep talking. (sorry if it was long)

Children
No Data