Hello

I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago. I had been pretty sure for a long time before getting a formal diagnosis that this was what I had.

I manage to cope with some aspects of life: I have a career and am quite independent. In fact the psychiatrist who made the diagnosis said that I had done very well. I have many of the common problems, especially to do with sensory sensitivity, but the thing that causes the most difficulty is communication with other people. I am very shy and inhibited in verbal interactions, which leads to a great sense of isolation. I feel that if I could improve my ability to make conversation it would make a great difference to my life.

Don

Parents
  • Don49 said:

When I was younger I had quite a bit of individual and group therapy of various kinds, but no one really knew what the problem was in those days. Since getting a diagnosis I have had a course of CBT, which was not really very helpful, but it is hard to find anything else.

I didn't find CBT very helpful, either.  Learning to understand why I feel the way I feel doesn't stop me from feeling the way I feel.

I've had individual and group therapy, both of which have helped in terms of getting informed responses to my thoughts and feelings, and through giving me a sense of 'community' and identification.

I find forums like this very helpful, too, for those reasons.  Plus... I have the distance from others, and the time to think about what I want to say.

On the spot and face to face, it's always a struggle.  Practice does improve things, but it also depends on the type of environment you're working in.  I work in care, so it's quite congenial.  In other environments, I'd feel much less confident.

• Don49 said:

When I was younger I had quite a bit of individual and group therapy of various kinds, but no one really knew what the problem was in those days. Since getting a diagnosis I have had a course of CBT, which was not really very helpful, but it is hard to find anything else.

I didn't find CBT very helpful, either.  Learning to understand why I feel the way I feel doesn't stop me from feeling the way I feel.

I've had individual and group therapy, both of which have helped in terms of getting informed responses to my thoughts and feelings, and through giving me a sense of 'community' and identification.

I find forums like this very helpful, too, for those reasons.  Plus... I have the distance from others, and the time to think about what I want to say.

On the spot and face to face, it's always a struggle.  Practice does improve things, but it also depends on the type of environment you're working in.  I work in care, so it's quite congenial.  In other environments, I'd feel much less confident.

Children
No Data