Hi new to all this

hi, I would just like to say hi to you all, I am a 55 year old lady, who is suspected to have Aspergers. It's been with me all my life I'm just beginning to learn why things have been the way they have and why life has been such a struggle? 

Parents
  • The thing about autistic people is that they 'do their own thing' and generally prefer a larger amount of solitude than many other people and for this reason are often thought of as anti-social or 'odd' and this is a stigma that seems to dog them so much.

I think there is so much ignorance among the general population about autism (as is the case with many other conditions) that usually, the average person isn't equipped to deal with someone on the AS. It's all a question of awareness and if you think about things like female equality or the rights of gays, etc., which have gained a tremendous amount of exposure over recent years, autism is one of the poor relations and needs a lot more public exposure than is presently the case. How, I'm not sure, but somehow it needs to become 'fashionable' to talk about it more. Perhaps if one of the royals were born autistic it would spark more of a public debate! 

• The thing about autistic people is that they 'do their own thing' and generally prefer a larger amount of solitude than many other people and for this reason are often thought of as anti-social or 'odd' and this is a stigma that seems to dog them so much.

I think there is so much ignorance among the general population about autism (as is the case with many other conditions) that usually, the average person isn't equipped to deal with someone on the AS. It's all a question of awareness and if you think about things like female equality or the rights of gays, etc., which have gained a tremendous amount of exposure over recent years, autism is one of the poor relations and needs a lot more public exposure than is presently the case. How, I'm not sure, but somehow it needs to become 'fashionable' to talk about it more. Perhaps if one of the royals were born autistic it would spark more of a public debate! 

Children
No Data