Newly Diognised Kid

Hi, 

My boy (9) is recently Diognised with Autusm. It's a worry to me and my wife because we  are not too sure that he will be able to get educated and be independent when he grow up. His main problem is lack of communication. He only mimic whatever you say to him. Is there any hope that he will one day talk to us?

Parents
  • Hi JayRee,

Yes, there's always hope.  A good book to read is 'Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism (or How To Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently)' by Steve Silberman. I'm currently on Chapter 2 - 'The Boy Who Liked Green Straws' - about the experience of a couple who brought up an autistic boy. Enlightening and reassuring, I think.  Here's a link to information about another useful book mentioned in this one:

community.autism.org.uk/.../book-struggling-parents

With a diagnosis, you should be able to get the support he and you need - speech and language therapists, behaviour teams, etc. Has anything further been suggested to you by the professionals involved?

Check out The Autism Services Directory, too, in case there's support available in your area:

www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

Good luck

Tom

• Hi JayRee,

Yes, there's always hope.  A good book to read is 'Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism (or How To Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently)' by Steve Silberman. I'm currently on Chapter 2 - 'The Boy Who Liked Green Straws' - about the experience of a couple who brought up an autistic boy. Enlightening and reassuring, I think.  Here's a link to information about another useful book mentioned in this one:

community.autism.org.uk/.../book-struggling-parents

With a diagnosis, you should be able to get the support he and you need - speech and language therapists, behaviour teams, etc. Has anything further been suggested to you by the professionals involved?

Check out The Autism Services Directory, too, in case there's support available in your area:

www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

Good luck

Tom

Children
No Data