Hello everyone!

Hi,

I'm new here.  I'm a 57-year-old male who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year.  The diagnosis was a positive thing for me because it's enabled me, at last, to make sense of my life and the difficulties I've always faced.  Previously, I'd been GP-diagnosed with 'Depression', 'Anxiety Disorder' - but they were all symptoms of the underlying ASD.  It took a therapist to finally notice traits that suggested something deeper.

I work in care (with learning disabilities), so have a lot of identification with my clients!  I'm currently doing a work-related distance learning course in 'Understanding Autism'.  I'm reading as much as I can on it, too, and it's all making a lot of sense.  It's my new obsession!

Anyway... it's good to be here.  I expect I'll see you all around.

All the best,

Tom

Parents
  • You're welcome.

40... around where I was.

I'm with you on the anti-depressant thing.  I don't take them anymore.  I've tried several over the years, and Prozac was the only one that really helped.  Trouble is, it gave me muscle spasms, which kept me awake at night.  If the depression is really crippling you, though - well, I know how horrible it can be.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  I, too, am close to mine and always have been.  She's the only person who really 'gets' me.  She's ailing now, though, with end-stage CKD.  I'm handling a good deal of her care at the moment and am looking at becoming a more full-time carer.

It would still be worth your while talking to your GP.  It may even be worth insisting on their pursuing this route for you.  I know services are under strain... but the point, as I've often said, is: if you had a physical illness, such as diabetes or cancer, you'd get the appropriate treatment.  Because these conditions are 'invisible', then can be overlooked or downplayed - as with my experience with the CPN.

Good luck, anyway.  Let me know how it goes.

• You're welcome.

40... around where I was.

I'm with you on the anti-depressant thing.  I don't take them anymore.  I've tried several over the years, and Prozac was the only one that really helped.  Trouble is, it gave me muscle spasms, which kept me awake at night.  If the depression is really crippling you, though - well, I know how horrible it can be.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  I, too, am close to mine and always have been.  She's the only person who really 'gets' me.  She's ailing now, though, with end-stage CKD.  I'm handling a good deal of her care at the moment and am looking at becoming a more full-time carer.

It would still be worth your while talking to your GP.  It may even be worth insisting on their pursuing this route for you.  I know services are under strain... but the point, as I've often said, is: if you had a physical illness, such as diabetes or cancer, you'd get the appropriate treatment.  Because these conditions are 'invisible', then can be overlooked or downplayed - as with my experience with the CPN.

Good luck, anyway.  Let me know how it goes.

Children
No Data