Hi i need some advice / help . I am desperate

Hi Folks hoping some other parent has been in the same position as me. I am getting very frustrated with myself for being unable to help my adult child in thier late 20's .  I now believe quite strongly he is on the autistic spectrum. He is isolated, has rigorous routines (I can set my watch by him) and will not detract from them.  Does notcommunicate with all of us, sits in bedroom, gets in to a blind panic when i make him eat at the table on a few occassions, loves words, super intelligent etc etc....but I cannot find a way to get him to come to the docs with me. He will chat and play with our dog...who I actually got because I read that sufferers would 'communicate ' with animals.  I am hoping someone has had this experiance and may be able to help me , offer me guidance or point me to some group who may be able to help.

Oh and he will talk when he is on the phone.!

thanks for reading. 

Parents
  • Hey.

Have you been able to determine why he won't go to the doctors? Is it that he does not want a diagnosis, is he scared of doctors, or is he scared of leaving the hose completely (agoraphobia)?

You say he communicates when on the phone. It may sound a bit weird but have you tried ringing him on the phone to discuss this? Or a letter or email? It may be that he will feel more comfortable communicating about this in a non face to face way.

Depending on what the reason for not wanting to see the GP, will be important in deciding what to do. If it's a fear of leaving the house you could ask for a house visit. If it is because he does not want a diagnosis that is tricky, as he is an adult and cannot be forced to do anything against his wants and it could create a breakdown in your relationship with him. He is probably feeling very isolated and alone and it can't be pleasant, so it could be that he could be persuaded, as it would be in his best interest.

• Hey.

Have you been able to determine why he won't go to the doctors? Is it that he does not want a diagnosis, is he scared of doctors, or is he scared of leaving the hose completely (agoraphobia)?

You say he communicates when on the phone. It may sound a bit weird but have you tried ringing him on the phone to discuss this? Or a letter or email? It may be that he will feel more comfortable communicating about this in a non face to face way.

Depending on what the reason for not wanting to see the GP, will be important in deciding what to do. If it's a fear of leaving the house you could ask for a house visit. If it is because he does not want a diagnosis that is tricky, as he is an adult and cannot be forced to do anything against his wants and it could create a breakdown in your relationship with him. He is probably feeling very isolated and alone and it can't be pleasant, so it could be that he could be persuaded, as it would be in his best interest.

Children
No Data