ASD DIAGNOSIS

Hello All - This is my first Post.

I have just received formal diagnosis of asd. Although I was pretty certain, before the diagnosis, that the assessment would be positive it has thrown up lots of issues and created huge amounts of conflicting thoughts, anxiety within my already busy head.

Just wondered if anyone else experienced similar experiences following diagnosis ?

Regards

John

Parents
  • Hi John, welcome to the forum.

I got my diagnosis just a couple of months ago, after it was first suggested about a year before that.  I've had huge amounts of stuff bouncing around in my head, too - forty five years worth of unexplained weirdness in my life, for starters!  I'm still having little "Eureka" moments every day.

The best thing for it, in my opinion, is to come to places like this, where you can meet other people with a similar diagnosis.  Talking to other people who have had longer to acclimatise to their diagnosis has really helped me to be more at ease with my new discovery, and to learn to pace myself a little so that all the new information doesn't swamp me.

Unless you have particularly urgent practical or health reasons, try to allow yourself as much time as you need for the thoughts to settle down.  There is usually no rush to make your diagnosis known to other people.  In fact, I would advise you to be very cautious about disclosure initially, as other people's reactions can be strange sometimes - an added pressure that is best tackled once you are more comfortable with the diagnosis yourself.

If there's anything you're particularly anxious about, don't be afraid to come back here and ask about it.  I have found the people here to be incredibly generous and understanding, and full of excellent advice.

Best wishes.

• Hi John, welcome to the forum.

I got my diagnosis just a couple of months ago, after it was first suggested about a year before that.  I've had huge amounts of stuff bouncing around in my head, too - forty five years worth of unexplained weirdness in my life, for starters!  I'm still having little "Eureka" moments every day.

The best thing for it, in my opinion, is to come to places like this, where you can meet other people with a similar diagnosis.  Talking to other people who have had longer to acclimatise to their diagnosis has really helped me to be more at ease with my new discovery, and to learn to pace myself a little so that all the new information doesn't swamp me.

Unless you have particularly urgent practical or health reasons, try to allow yourself as much time as you need for the thoughts to settle down.  There is usually no rush to make your diagnosis known to other people.  In fact, I would advise you to be very cautious about disclosure initially, as other people's reactions can be strange sometimes - an added pressure that is best tackled once you are more comfortable with the diagnosis yourself.

If there's anything you're particularly anxious about, don't be afraid to come back here and ask about it.  I have found the people here to be incredibly generous and understanding, and full of excellent advice.

Best wishes.

Children
No Data