Hello

Hello everyone. I am 40 and currently undiagnosed with any ASD, but, particularly in the last year or two, after reading reams of information regarding Asperger's/ASDs I genuinely feel that I was born with it, although my memory is a little clouded by the fact that after anaphylaxia I stopped breathing for...I don't know how long, I, nor my parents, were ever told how long to my knowledge, but I believe that I suffered brain damage which has, I think, caused me to display autistic tendencies/behaviours ever since I suffered the anaphylaxia. This has recently been exacerbated by the fact that I have Hydrocephalus, which, my parents tell me, anyway, as I can't remember, has led to me recently(it seems longer to me)developing sensory problems. I find our HDTV incredibly difficult to watch, and, because my parents are now quite old, my mother needs the volume set at a level that I find almost unbearable. This has led to meltdowns and bad behaviour on my part, and I have no doubt that I must drive them insane.

In the intervening years I have become increasingly secluded, have lost friends because of my reactions to how they have behaved, and now I spend most of my time in my house with my parents. After speaking to a sibling yesterday on skype(I have barely spoken to her face to face since I was 17)I have come to realise that I find face to face communication almost impossible now with anyone new, and I have no interest whatsoever in making new friends. I would much rather spend my time on the computer or reading, which I love, and I would consider one of my special interests to be the attainment of general knowledge, and I absolutely love answering questions on quizzes like The Chase.

This is just a little about me, and I look forward to reading any replies I receive.

Thank you all for reading this post.

Parents
  • Hi, it is good to hear from you again. I have done that test, yes, amongst others, and consistently appear as being on the autistic spectrum. The last scores I printed out we're 166/200 neurodiverse and 49/200 for neuro-typical, so, as far as it can be trusted, fairly conclusive. I am waiting to hear from my neurologist as to his opinion (I provided as much written evidence of my traits as possible). My parents are, in my opinion, definitely on the spectrum, but, since they do not understand what ASD is, they don't recognise it in themselves at all. I see it in my brothers and sister too (we are half-siblings, related on the maternal side). I live in Wales, and I would be willing to bet the postcode lottery will not be in my favour. I only hope my neurologist will take me seriously and perhaps arrange for me to be formally tested. I think my parents need a doctor to say "your son has/is autistic before they will even start to take me seriously. Our communication has always been difficult since we simply do not talk about our feelings to one another, at all...thanks again for your advice, it is truly appreciated.

• Hi, it is good to hear from you again. I have done that test, yes, amongst others, and consistently appear as being on the autistic spectrum. The last scores I printed out we're 166/200 neurodiverse and 49/200 for neuro-typical, so, as far as it can be trusted, fairly conclusive. I am waiting to hear from my neurologist as to his opinion (I provided as much written evidence of my traits as possible). My parents are, in my opinion, definitely on the spectrum, but, since they do not understand what ASD is, they don't recognise it in themselves at all. I see it in my brothers and sister too (we are half-siblings, related on the maternal side). I live in Wales, and I would be willing to bet the postcode lottery will not be in my favour. I only hope my neurologist will take me seriously and perhaps arrange for me to be formally tested. I think my parents need a doctor to say "your son has/is autistic before they will even start to take me seriously. Our communication has always been difficult since we simply do not talk about our feelings to one another, at all...thanks again for your advice, it is truly appreciated.

Children
No Data