Hello all, a shout out from mid Wales

Hello there, I am Ryan, I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with AS at 11. From the outside a lot of people see that I have adapted well to the NT world however it is a constant struggle. I recently changed jobs and moved to a new area after 5 years in my previous job. Although the first few years of that job was a struggle, I got to know the people and reached the point where I worked well with them all. Unfortunately I now have to start again and it is really challenging. I rely alot on the local community here which is very tight knit to keep me grounded, but it is still a challenge to walk the rope. I didn't realise how much people who knew me where I used to live made allowances, something which I now realise a lot of people are unwilling to do. There have been days when I have regretted the move, however on the whole I am happier and feel more accepted in the small rural community I find myself in now than the more cosmopolitan city I came from originally. (NB My definition of cosmopolitan is not the same as NTs, I come from [removed by mod] originally and now live in [removed by mod], I know NTs don't usually regard [removed by mod] as cosmopolitan but it was busy enough for me, probably the largest place I could comfortably live). 

I recently started going to church and have really embraced the Christian life. I know this engenders a lot of debate and some claim Aspergers, with their more logical brains, are less likely to be religious. However I take great comfort in knowing He is guiding my life. The athiests or agnostics among you perhaps may see this as an extension of me prefering hierarchies and rigid organisations that I take comfort in the religious life. Especially as it gives order and meaning to what otherwise seems disordered and meaningless. I respect the right of others not to believe, or to believe as they feel fit though. For this reason I did not end up at the Pentecostal church, even though I found them very pleasant Christian people, as personally I found the overt displays of emotion uncomfortable. I instead prefer the more traditional Baptists who focus more on what the Bible says with it's ordered service of hymns, prayers and sermons.

Atypically for Aspergers I refused to stay in my house and have also started learning Welsh and volunteering for St John Ambulance in the evenings and weekends. I also enjoy singing and, although difficult this year as it clashes with SJA, I do like to be part of a choir. Needless to say outside of work, in 'social' settings where I am comfortable the people I meet don't really notice the AS, however in work and other settings which I am not so comfortable it is more apparent. Even in the comfortable settings I do have moments where I have to fight against my own 'flight' mode, and sometimes feel relief when an event is over. This is not because I haven't enjoyed the event, but playing up to the NTs so as to fit in can be exhausting! I don't know if anyone else with AS agrees with me here?

Well enough of me, I'd love to get to know as many of you as possible and to connect with others, especially others with AS, who live in the same area. Perhaps we could band together and meet up once or twice if there are a few of us in [removed by mod]? I know of one other I met in [removed by mod] who lives here so it is good to know that I am not alone.

TTFN

Ryan

Parents
  • Hi Ryan,

Aplogies for the delay in getting back to you. Please don't worry, you've done nothing wrong at all, I'm just trying to make sure that your privacy is protected Smile After speaking to more senior moderators, it appears that quite a few people have signed up to the Community with their actual name so I'm waiting to here back about whether or not this is ok. In the meantime, I would keep your alias as it is for the moment and I'll get back to you when I here about this.

Hope that's ok,

Sofie Mod

• Hi Ryan,

Aplogies for the delay in getting back to you. Please don't worry, you've done nothing wrong at all, I'm just trying to make sure that your privacy is protected Smile After speaking to more senior moderators, it appears that quite a few people have signed up to the Community with their actual name so I'm waiting to here back about whether or not this is ok. In the meantime, I would keep your alias as it is for the moment and I'll get back to you when I here about this.

Hope that's ok,

Sofie Mod

Children
No Data