ADVICE My 3 and half year old son

Hi 

I'm not sure what to really write. I guess I'm looking for some support or well anything that might help

I have two children my eldest son is coming up to 4year old and my youngest is almost 1year.

My eldest hasn't had a diagnosis as of yet 

He was hitting all normal milestone until 1years old when I started noticing he wasn't speaking for ages I put it down to so much going on with a relationship break down (having to move) and problems with eye sight witch he was then at 2years old diagnosed with duane's syndrome and given glasses. 

During this time I noticed him refusing to play with other children at play groups. Refusing to potty train. And being very repetitive with some of the world's he had learnt. 

At age 3 still not being potty trained and only seeming to join two words together (water cup) instead of saying water in a cup please. I know he can speak he knows things that you wouldn't expect.. Like the other name for a killer wale (orca). But other things started showing alot more.. If he sees a digger he fixates on it and repestes digger over and over. I finally realised I couldn't Berry my head in the sand any longer and took him to my doctors he's had countless referal and assessments but no answers as if yet. 

He has just started nursery (were about 3-4weeks in) he goes 3days a week at 5hours a day. My major concern at the moment is he has a melt down when I try and take him in.. But when I pick him up its even worse.. He will point blank refuse to leave. To the point I have to carry him out after getting him to walk he will throw himself in the road. Hurt himself by pinching or biting all while screaming at the top of his voice the whole walk home. 

My question is has anyone experienced anything like this? I also struggle to wash his hair and he will fight and scream. Has anyone experience problems with balance also.. I was thinking maybe he was just clumsy but he has manged to hurt himself (by falling over) about 6 times in one week. 

Really could use some advice as I really don't know what to do and to be honest I'm not getting any support from people that are seeing him. Sorry about the long post and thank you 

Parents
  • Hi sorry it has taken so long to reply

I'm in the process of having him accessed. But once he saw someone they send referal to loads of other people and said they would see him again in 6months. It's frustrating because I know for a fact they won't remember him and they will only know about him from reading..  And to be honest people seeing him once won't help get any kind of answers. 

I oped to cut my kids hair myself as going to the hairdressers was just way too much for him. It still is when I do it but I tell him if he wants to get upset while I'm doing it he can let it all out as I don't want him to feel he has to hold back his feeling. I want so badly to understand him but it's just so hard to with no support 

I know this sounds really horrible of me and like I'm a bad mum.. But people always say to me like 'don't worry he will be having conversation with you and telling you all about his day at nursery soon' and all I can think in my head is what if he never can, what if this is as much as he will ever be able to get across. 

I Was so excited picking him up from nursery the other day.. He said 'mummy say hi Daniel' but we had already left. So the next day I asked if Daniel was his friend (I was so excited for him to be playing with someone his age) and the nursery told me they have no Daniel in the class. They told me he stays away from the other kids. Only allowing them to stand next to him and if they try and play with him he acts as if there not there. 

I'm in a bad situation right now as he is in nursery 15hours a week (3days) and struggling to get him to understand he goes in Monday Tuesday morning and then Thursday afternoon.. I would love to send him everyday as I can see it is benefiting him big time (he's now able to draw shapes and before it was just lines) he's picking up on things like chefs in kitchens cook. But I just can't afford to send him in anymore days and all the school nursery's by me are completely full 

At the moment because there is no diagnosis I don't know how to explain my son. I don't know if I should tell people or just leave it to saying nothing. As some of the staff at his nursery don't seem to understand.. Even said 'well he's doing amazing considering he's only nearly 3 he's well above some of the things he should be doing..' Saying to them no he's almost 4 made the lady say oh well he has a lot to do before he will start real school next year has made me feel like I don't know what the future holds

I'm waiting for someone from something can sen to come and visit to find out if main stream school is a possibility and if it is getting everyone together to help him get there 

• Hi sorry it has taken so long to reply

I'm in the process of having him accessed. But once he saw someone they send referal to loads of other people and said they would see him again in 6months. It's frustrating because I know for a fact they won't remember him and they will only know about him from reading..  And to be honest people seeing him once won't help get any kind of answers. 

I oped to cut my kids hair myself as going to the hairdressers was just way too much for him. It still is when I do it but I tell him if he wants to get upset while I'm doing it he can let it all out as I don't want him to feel he has to hold back his feeling. I want so badly to understand him but it's just so hard to with no support 

I know this sounds really horrible of me and like I'm a bad mum.. But people always say to me like 'don't worry he will be having conversation with you and telling you all about his day at nursery soon' and all I can think in my head is what if he never can, what if this is as much as he will ever be able to get across. 

I Was so excited picking him up from nursery the other day.. He said 'mummy say hi Daniel' but we had already left. So the next day I asked if Daniel was his friend (I was so excited for him to be playing with someone his age) and the nursery told me they have no Daniel in the class. They told me he stays away from the other kids. Only allowing them to stand next to him and if they try and play with him he acts as if there not there. 

I'm in a bad situation right now as he is in nursery 15hours a week (3days) and struggling to get him to understand he goes in Monday Tuesday morning and then Thursday afternoon.. I would love to send him everyday as I can see it is benefiting him big time (he's now able to draw shapes and before it was just lines) he's picking up on things like chefs in kitchens cook. But I just can't afford to send him in anymore days and all the school nursery's by me are completely full 

At the moment because there is no diagnosis I don't know how to explain my son. I don't know if I should tell people or just leave it to saying nothing. As some of the staff at his nursery don't seem to understand.. Even said 'well he's doing amazing considering he's only nearly 3 he's well above some of the things he should be doing..' Saying to them no he's almost 4 made the lady say oh well he has a lot to do before he will start real school next year has made me feel like I don't know what the future holds

I'm waiting for someone from something can sen to come and visit to find out if main stream school is a possibility and if it is getting everyone together to help him get there 

Children
No Data