Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • Hi,

I am exploring the idea of speaking to my GP about getting a formal diagnosis but am not sure yet. Something about being formally diagnosed scares me a bit. I am not sure why. I didn't have a particularly good experience last year in seeing a private psychiatrist who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. He seemed very shocked and judgemental when hearing my life story. I also went to see a psychologist for CBT training and she had the same reaction. i am not sure I want to go through that again.

I am wondering how others found the experience of getting diagnosed with AS? 

• Hi,

I am exploring the idea of speaking to my GP about getting a formal diagnosis but am not sure yet. Something about being formally diagnosed scares me a bit. I am not sure why. I didn't have a particularly good experience last year in seeing a private psychiatrist who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. He seemed very shocked and judgemental when hearing my life story. I also went to see a psychologist for CBT training and she had the same reaction. i am not sure I want to go through that again.

I am wondering how others found the experience of getting diagnosed with AS? 

Children
No Data