Autism household in full flow.

Hello everyone,

My name is Jenn, I was dx'ed a couple of years ago with ADHD and AS. I have two boys (10 & 6) both with ASD and one also has a DX of Tourette's Syndrome. I am also married to another late diagnosed Aspie, who also has Tourette's Syndrome, ADHD and other issues and a long list of co-morbids. 

We have been Indepentantly Educating our boys from home for almost the last year and I also run a business from home. 

I am here to try and see if I can help, where possible, learn from others and hopefully help give some positives to ASD.

I know ASD is not easy, but for me, I see more postives than negetigve. It certainly makes for an interesting ride:)

Well looking forwarding to reading all about everyone else and please feel free to contact me should you wish to.

All the best,

Jenn

Parents
  • Telstar,

Thanks for your reply and interest in my post.

I certainly feel more positives from being Aspie. I think, from my experiences, through other forums, facebook groups and even AS groups in person, that people have a tendency to need a certain amount of reassurances and confirmations that their "negative" ASD or suspect ASD traits are similar to others. In a sense, it helps to make people feel part of a group, when they quite often felt distant in the past. When I first suspected about my Autism, following the research about my youngest son, I saw so much negativity, that I was, in fact, even more anxious, if that could have been possible, about the possibility of being AS. The other females I read about seemed to gravitate towards their negativities so much so that I had to remove myself from many groups. Along with the many people's literal thinking and inflexibility of though, I found so many misunderstandings and in-fighting, which I just found upsetting and it was bringing me down. I personally am not someone who gets regularly depressed, although I know that many with ASD do, and I respect that as I know not everyone copes in the same way. But on reading, I viewed, the majority seemed to either express anger at others for their lack of awareness/acceptance/knowledge but spent little time actually trying to educate them. This anger tended to misdirect them from their tasks of trying to undertstand themselves better. There were parents who were still in the what I call the "whoa as me" stages, of focusing on the loss of "their" own dreams for their child rather than focusing on how to actually "help" their child. I understand that too, but I think for me, I wanted to help my kids and not see it all in such a tragic light. And so, it made me more determined to view things differently.

Although, my initial experiences were negative and my obsession to find out more, through my own research, it gave me a way to self-evaluate my own life. And I literally made a two column list Positive/negative. But once finished, I had realised, that so many amazing and wonderful adventures had occurred in my life because of my view of life, my attachments or lack thereof, my focus or distraction, my need for justice/retribution or desire for stability/peace. These are all choices I made in my life. Was my life hard? Absolutely it was. Not necessarily because of my AS, but more because of circumstance, but it was, I feel, because of my AS that I survived and why I thrive today. It is why I was able to help my husband create a Multi-National, Multi-million pound business, from scratch, why I am able to take chances, why I strive to learn more, do more, be more than I was yesterday. It is in every choice, experience I have. Yes, you are right, hyper-focus can be a great tool for employers to take advantage of, attention to detail, looking at things from a more simplistic or more detailed view. I know personally, I like to have positivity in my life always. Perhaps it is an Aspie thing, but I can and do cut people out of my life that have negative vibe to them. I am a protective parent. I know my children can be vulnerable to others, their opinions, their action etc. So, my friends and family circle are of people who can be that very positivity that I bring to them. 

As a parent, I want my child to grow up and learn and know that there is nothing "wrong" with them, they just see things differently. And oh what a boring world it would be if everyone were just sheep and the same. It was for this reason and others that I came out of my "autism" closet. It is for them, that my husband and I  and after being asked by our Psych, to come and speak on the ASD circuits and ADHD forums, to help the NHS with standards and guidelines for other ASD patients in our area. We have taught him and his team so much more than they ever thought possible by being able to express ourselves and convey our needs, where others struggle. We want to say, yes, we struggled, but we can and have been successful. We want to show our children that they CAN do and be what they want, but they have to find a slightly different path. Yes, you can be social. Is it hard? Yes, but with these tools X, Y, Z etc you can do it. And yes, we are your parents and we are proud of whom we are and you should be too. The only way they are going understand what we are trying to teach them is by being their example. So, we put ourselves out there. 

I agree, with you that many more employers, should take advantage of our skills. Take advantage of those of us that have some really amazing special interests that could create so many things in this world if only given the opportunity. While my currently business is just a small family business, it is our intentions to help teach both our boys about business, to ensure that in years to come they won't have to rely on an employer to provide them work, but they can do it for themselves. It will help them move towards independence when they are older. But perhaps they would like the routine of having an employer and that is fine too. But we want to give them the opportunities to thrive in their own way and at what they have motivation to learn and be a part of.

Verbal instructions can be difficult, but it takes an employer no real additional effort to also provide written procedures on how to do a job etc. Both my boys need both verbal and written instructions or to have them broken into bits. My eldest still at 10 has a list on his wall to tell him how to clean him room. Not because he doesn't know, but he can find it hard to know where to start, the thinking then can become overwhelming, which then can result in no action. Not because he doesn't want to do it, but because he just feels like he can't. But when he can see it in front of him, that ability to check things off, know they are correct, recheck and complete the task, brings much needed self-esteem and confidence, because he has achieve a goal on his own. 

I know that before my assessment, I was constantly talking about ASD, obsessively so, that I think my poor husband just shut me off, (which can be a good thing for us at times). I think after a while I sound like a teacher on Charlie Brown, where all he hears is me saying " blah blah blah blah" *LOL*. But I wasn't trying to fit myself into anything; I was trying to make "sense" of everything. I was anxious because I wasn't sure. I had a preconceived view of what Autism was based on the media, sadly much like others and that view just wasn't me. Sadly, Rainman comes to mind. And as we all know, that just isn't an accurate picture. 

But what I will say, is that once I went through my assessment and had the details in black and white, well I had to send the first DX papers back because there were over 15 grammatical/spelling errors, it was a relief. First, I realised that having noticed the errors and wanting them corrected, perhaps personally, confirmed the further the AS result, and secondly it gave me a freedom. A freedom to not feel as though I needed to try to conform to the social constraints I had struggled with a majority of my life. That I could allow myself to feel less guilt for not being "like everyone else", that I could just be me. It wasn't an excuse for me, it was a reason. And that to me made all the difference. 

Support it will really depend on the area you are in. Personally, I can't say I have had much "support" through the NHS, but this is more because I haven't any learning difficulties and any deficiencies I do have, my husband helps me with and vice versa.  This is an area that I am trying to work with the NHS about to help others in my region. And as usual, red-tape and money are always part of this, but I am certain we will get somewhere with this. I am aware that what we help put in place now, will affect my children in years to come, so it is important that we help shape their future support.

I wish you all the best and good luck with your assessment. I hope you do not have to wait long as I know the anticipation is acute.

Jenn

• Telstar,

Thanks for your reply and interest in my post.

I certainly feel more positives from being Aspie. I think, from my experiences, through other forums, facebook groups and even AS groups in person, that people have a tendency to need a certain amount of reassurances and confirmations that their "negative" ASD or suspect ASD traits are similar to others. In a sense, it helps to make people feel part of a group, when they quite often felt distant in the past. When I first suspected about my Autism, following the research about my youngest son, I saw so much negativity, that I was, in fact, even more anxious, if that could have been possible, about the possibility of being AS. The other females I read about seemed to gravitate towards their negativities so much so that I had to remove myself from many groups. Along with the many people's literal thinking and inflexibility of though, I found so many misunderstandings and in-fighting, which I just found upsetting and it was bringing me down. I personally am not someone who gets regularly depressed, although I know that many with ASD do, and I respect that as I know not everyone copes in the same way. But on reading, I viewed, the majority seemed to either express anger at others for their lack of awareness/acceptance/knowledge but spent little time actually trying to educate them. This anger tended to misdirect them from their tasks of trying to undertstand themselves better. There were parents who were still in the what I call the "whoa as me" stages, of focusing on the loss of "their" own dreams for their child rather than focusing on how to actually "help" their child. I understand that too, but I think for me, I wanted to help my kids and not see it all in such a tragic light. And so, it made me more determined to view things differently.

Although, my initial experiences were negative and my obsession to find out more, through my own research, it gave me a way to self-evaluate my own life. And I literally made a two column list Positive/negative. But once finished, I had realised, that so many amazing and wonderful adventures had occurred in my life because of my view of life, my attachments or lack thereof, my focus or distraction, my need for justice/retribution or desire for stability/peace. These are all choices I made in my life. Was my life hard? Absolutely it was. Not necessarily because of my AS, but more because of circumstance, but it was, I feel, because of my AS that I survived and why I thrive today. It is why I was able to help my husband create a Multi-National, Multi-million pound business, from scratch, why I am able to take chances, why I strive to learn more, do more, be more than I was yesterday. It is in every choice, experience I have. Yes, you are right, hyper-focus can be a great tool for employers to take advantage of, attention to detail, looking at things from a more simplistic or more detailed view. I know personally, I like to have positivity in my life always. Perhaps it is an Aspie thing, but I can and do cut people out of my life that have negative vibe to them. I am a protective parent. I know my children can be vulnerable to others, their opinions, their action etc. So, my friends and family circle are of people who can be that very positivity that I bring to them. 

As a parent, I want my child to grow up and learn and know that there is nothing "wrong" with them, they just see things differently. And oh what a boring world it would be if everyone were just sheep and the same. It was for this reason and others that I came out of my "autism" closet. It is for them, that my husband and I  and after being asked by our Psych, to come and speak on the ASD circuits and ADHD forums, to help the NHS with standards and guidelines for other ASD patients in our area. We have taught him and his team so much more than they ever thought possible by being able to express ourselves and convey our needs, where others struggle. We want to say, yes, we struggled, but we can and have been successful. We want to show our children that they CAN do and be what they want, but they have to find a slightly different path. Yes, you can be social. Is it hard? Yes, but with these tools X, Y, Z etc you can do it. And yes, we are your parents and we are proud of whom we are and you should be too. The only way they are going understand what we are trying to teach them is by being their example. So, we put ourselves out there. 

I agree, with you that many more employers, should take advantage of our skills. Take advantage of those of us that have some really amazing special interests that could create so many things in this world if only given the opportunity. While my currently business is just a small family business, it is our intentions to help teach both our boys about business, to ensure that in years to come they won't have to rely on an employer to provide them work, but they can do it for themselves. It will help them move towards independence when they are older. But perhaps they would like the routine of having an employer and that is fine too. But we want to give them the opportunities to thrive in their own way and at what they have motivation to learn and be a part of.

Verbal instructions can be difficult, but it takes an employer no real additional effort to also provide written procedures on how to do a job etc. Both my boys need both verbal and written instructions or to have them broken into bits. My eldest still at 10 has a list on his wall to tell him how to clean him room. Not because he doesn't know, but he can find it hard to know where to start, the thinking then can become overwhelming, which then can result in no action. Not because he doesn't want to do it, but because he just feels like he can't. But when he can see it in front of him, that ability to check things off, know they are correct, recheck and complete the task, brings much needed self-esteem and confidence, because he has achieve a goal on his own. 

I know that before my assessment, I was constantly talking about ASD, obsessively so, that I think my poor husband just shut me off, (which can be a good thing for us at times). I think after a while I sound like a teacher on Charlie Brown, where all he hears is me saying " blah blah blah blah" *LOL*. But I wasn't trying to fit myself into anything; I was trying to make "sense" of everything. I was anxious because I wasn't sure. I had a preconceived view of what Autism was based on the media, sadly much like others and that view just wasn't me. Sadly, Rainman comes to mind. And as we all know, that just isn't an accurate picture. 

But what I will say, is that once I went through my assessment and had the details in black and white, well I had to send the first DX papers back because there were over 15 grammatical/spelling errors, it was a relief. First, I realised that having noticed the errors and wanting them corrected, perhaps personally, confirmed the further the AS result, and secondly it gave me a freedom. A freedom to not feel as though I needed to try to conform to the social constraints I had struggled with a majority of my life. That I could allow myself to feel less guilt for not being "like everyone else", that I could just be me. It wasn't an excuse for me, it was a reason. And that to me made all the difference. 

Support it will really depend on the area you are in. Personally, I can't say I have had much "support" through the NHS, but this is more because I haven't any learning difficulties and any deficiencies I do have, my husband helps me with and vice versa.  This is an area that I am trying to work with the NHS about to help others in my region. And as usual, red-tape and money are always part of this, but I am certain we will get somewhere with this. I am aware that what we help put in place now, will affect my children in years to come, so it is important that we help shape their future support.

I wish you all the best and good luck with your assessment. I hope you do not have to wait long as I know the anticipation is acute.

Jenn

Children
No Data